Basement Toilet installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Sernion

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 3 in drain in the floor, basement is above the septic tank. I'm getting ready to build a platform to install the toilet unless someone can tell me there's a flange that can go inside a 3 in drain? I haven't been able to find one so far.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A flange inside of a 3" pipe would restrict the size of the drain too much, and I don't think there is one anyway. A toilet on a platform is the mark of a hack job and I would advise avoiding that. Chip concrete around the pipe to expose enough to accommodate a 3" flange, clean it off so the flange will fit over it. You probably will want to rent a rotary hammer/drill to do this and work carefully so as not to break the pipe. It will take some time and effort, but it will be the best way.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
3" drain, with or without a P trap? Has this drain already been used as a floor drain?

You have to know whether the pipe is made for a toilet with or a P trap in it.

you are best off chipping out the floor around the pipe.

david

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I re-read your original post, I understand what Geniescience is concerned with. If the drain you want to use was a floor drain or a shower, then it has a P trap under the concrete and will have to be removed. A toilet has it's own trap built in and you can't have 2 traps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks