basement soffit - should I worry about sag?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Hotbacon, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Hotbacon

Hotbacon New Member

I'm in the process of framing the soffits around HVAC ducts and plumbing in my basement using this website as a guide - http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Indoor-Projects/Basement/Basement-Finishing/how-to-finish-a-basement-framing-and-insulating/Step-By-Step#step5. My original plan was to use 2x4's laid flat for the lookouts (bottom of soffits) in order to retain the most headspace in the room. However, I will have some wide soffits (mostly 4', but one at ~6') and I'm worried about sag once the drywall is installed. I have no way to secure the middle of these runs as the HVAC ducts take up the entire space.

What is the maximum length of a flat 2x4 before you have to start worrying about sag? Would flipping the 2x4's on end be my only other option?
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Well, how much sag makes you worry? Get yourself a 4' length of 2x4 and put some weight on it - get a feel for how
    much it might "sag" under the weight of a little drywall. FYI, the big box stores have large piles of "pre-sagged" 2x4's that
    you can pick through. Get yourself some saggy ones and install them with the sag "up", so any sag from the drywall will
    bring them back down level.
  3. Hotbacon

Hotbacon New Member

Maybe I should rephrase the question. I'm not so much concerned as to the amount of sag that will occur, as much as I am what the finished drywall will look like if the framing does sag. Therefore, will 6' 2x4 lookouts laid flat sag enough when drywall is installed to make the finished surface crack or otherwise look like crap (waves, bellies, etc.)?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I think at 6' you will be ok. Make sure to use KD lumber. I have seen an outdoor deck done with 2X4 laid flat on a 6' width. Definitely not a good plan, but all in all they stood up. A little springy depending on how you stepped. It was a little old ladies house, and I suspect the builder did it because she wanted a "look" and she only weighed about 92 pound wet. It worked for her. Anyway, the 2x did not sag from their own weight , over many years. And a little drywall may stiffen it up for you!
  5. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

You might also look at using steel studs for this.
  6. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

If you are enclosing large hot-air supply ducts, you may well have cracking at drywall joints no matter what you do, due to
    constant large temperature swings.
  7. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ New Member

Isn't that the truth. You get one usable length for every 10 you touch. When I look for wood at Home Depot the pile on the floor is much larger then the selection on my cart.

I like the idea of using steel studs and 3/8" drywall for this purpose. With such a short span the 3/8 will be fine.
  8. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Where do you find 3/8" drywall, there is no such thing where I come form.

1/4"
    1/2"
    5/8"

End.
  9. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ New Member

10. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Yes, 3/8" is common in the U.S., while 1/4" is not so much here in the midwest.
  11. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Doesn't suck to live in Canada when you need to visit the doctor or hospital... ;)