Basement Shower Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

DJL

Reaction score
I have a quick shower trap question. I bought the following trap for my basement shower. Is this the right trap to be using under concrete? If so, do I just angle the trap outlet the direction I want it to go, and then hand tighten the nut and then tighten a bit more with a wrench? I read somewhere not to use teflon tape with PVC, is that the case here.

trap.jpg

Also, if I'm really careful in placing the drain/trap correctly, is there any sense in building a box around the trap for making future changes? Or should I just go ahead and build the box, just in case.

Thanks.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I don't think you have the right one -- no threaded ones allowed for your application -- but a master plumber will be with you shortly .:)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no place on that trap where you could use tape. Those are straight cut threads, and the seal is made where the two parts meet. Tape only hinders the progress of the nut from spinning down on the threads.

For a basement shower, I would use a solvent weld p-trap. One that is glued up. There is no reason for access if you are gluing the trap.

DJL

Reaction score
I returned the threaded trap and purchased a solvent weld one. Thank you Terry and eurob!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks