Basement shower plumbing, need some input...

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ok, here is my dilemma, I tore out an old 32" shower that was sitting on a raised up tray under the shower base. As you can see in the pictures, there was some piping rigged up on top of the concrete floor (basement bathroom). I started cutting and chiseling a trench into the concrete so I can gain some depth with new drain piping as the new shower base only gives me 3/4" from the drain hole to the floor. As you can also see the cast iron pipe and trap was concreted in the floor (many years ago before I bought this place).

Ok plumbers, what would you do to get this thing plumbed up. I live in Western PA so "up-to-code" isn't the priority here. Just getting it to work.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

link to a picture of plumbing after I tore out old shower stall... http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22133650

Attachments

• 100_1890.jpg
    100_1890.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 773
  • 100_1891.jpg
    100_1891.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_1892.jpg
    100_1892.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 655
  • 100_1893.jpg
    100_1893.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_1894.jpg
    100_1894.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
so where are all the experts that like to give advice? I've been waiting to see the replies on how I need to do plumb this shower...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but what you have there, doesn't look like it would meet code. I can't tell about the trap, it doesn't look like a standard one legal in the US, if it's a trap at all. Then, there's no vent, which also doesn't meet codes. Need a little more info to be able to see what's there, and the way to fix it.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help with "code". To be honest, I don't care what the code says. I live in Western PA and its no biggie here. I do want to make it work and it won't leak. The old shower worked fine, don't see a problem with the plumbing. it's just the new shower bases don't give you the option of rigging something up like this shower had under it. The new shower bases sit directly onto the floor.

Jeff

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Although trap was thrown out earlier in the post have we determined that there is a trap below the original drain location¿ I know "we" could give a hootin' nanny holler if there is a trap but just work with me, buddy.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Code is there to prevent problems, and preserve health. Whether you get it inspected or not with a permit is between you and your local officials...but, this site doesn't work at 'make-do'. It needs to be ABLE to pass code, whether you care to get it inspected or not.

To do that, it needs a trap, AND it needs to be vented for your family's health. Can't tell from your pictures what you have, but it doesn't look like you have either a trap or a vent.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
This isn't new construction...

replacing the galvinized elbow, the black pvc, all of that isn't an issue, I can go to my local hardware and get the right materials, what my question now is, if I jackhammer up the concrete, what do I do with the cast iron pipe? It seems like alot of unnecessary work. How about finding a "grandfather clause" for me so I can just make this thing work, Yes I will use the right pipe materials, yes I will make it so it doesn't leak and yes I will make sure it slopes down enough so it actually drains. How about I just use some common sense in doing the job and not worry about all the "plumbing code" legal semantics?

How about checking out my pics of all this mess and seeing what I am actually up against and not just judging it by the fittings in the first pictures?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
hello .

I've already posted something helpful on your other thread.

Let this thread die out and start another one when you have a clearer question, and a few more things: one, refrain from saying what was there beforehand and showing us these images of the initial part of the drain line; two, refrain from saying what you can do; three refrain from commenting about code, four refrain from jabbing all those who have not come in to the thread yet; five wait days longer before asking for experts to come help you; six disregard nice people who post things that displease you.

hope this helps you here.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When you do a complete tearout, grandfather goes away...the new replacement needs to be up to snuff. Connecting to CI is often not too terrible...the hardest part is cutting the old out. A snap cutter usually works well, but you need enough opened so you can wrap the (heavy) chain around the pipe where you want to make the break (cut). Those are generally available at a tool rental store. Trying to cut it with a grinder or a saw can be done, but is tough - and, you may need more room than the snap cutter requires to have access.

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This Joker is all over the plumbing forums posting this Pig Slop Material...
Seeking to have a plumber okay his screwed up plan...
It's not going to happen !
But, he turns nasty when it doesn't happen...

Hey Master Plumber Mark!
I nominate this for the pig slop plumbing award...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Man I so wanted to reply to his post on the forum I been banned from. Dude. If you do not care about the code, then why ask the "Pro's" how to plumb it in? You can not run the drain the way you want to. Just break open the floor move the whole P-trap to where it will be directly below your shower drain.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ok, how do i move the cast iron piping, it runs underneath the foundation into a clean out. What special tools do I need to buy to do all this work?

1guido

Reaction score
Seriously

You said you live in Pa not West Virginia..... Ok all kidding aside I'm not a plumber, I'm not a preacher, but my god spend a little time break out the concrete and put in the p trap. All the time you've spent replying to everyone on here about not caring about code, saying how it worked fine before ect, you could have broke the concrete, cut the pipe , attached a sleeve, and run new PVC.

Makes no sense to me why you would want to cut corners on something that is not extremely difficult to do correctly. Well at least semi correctly I wonder if there is a vent line anywhere near that drain

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You said you live in Pa not West Virginia..... Ok all kidding aside I'm not a plumber, I'm not a preacher, but my god spend a little time break out the concrete and put in the p trap. All the time you've spent replying to everyone on here about not caring about code, saying how it worked fine before ect, you could have broke the concrete, cut the pipe , attached a sleeve, and run new PVC.

Makes no sense to me why you would want to cut corners on something that is not extremely difficult to do correctly. Well at least semi correctly I wonder if there is a vent line anywhere near that drain

Well I can tell you what is problem is, not only his but anyone that wants to cut corners to do any sort of job. First is apprehension to opening up something that they are unfamiliar with. Second, lack of knowledge and common sense in the area of what they are working on. Third, Fear, fear of seeking out the knowledge and learn the right way to do things.

This does not just apply to plumbing but everything we encounter in life. I seen some auto repairs that where so unsafe, I was scared to be on the same road with that auto. Seen some plumbing repairs where I was surprised that the people living in the building where still alive. If you have a look in the pigslop thread you can see many examples of this. I posted pics of someone that decided it was better to pipe the gas line direct to the burner instead of replacing the heater or the gas control valve. That person thought it was a great idea. There are other posts in there where people where very very proud of their accomplishments even though to a trained eye you can see it was totally wrong. Heck there is a forum out there, before some of the Pro's from here started posting, had people like this guy giving advice to each other, which they accomplished what they wanted to do but not meeting any code requirements, and they all had the mentality the code was out there to get them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks