Basement Shower Install

Users who are viewing this thread

rblystone

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement that was roughed in for a half bath. I want to put a shower in and make it a full bath. I have broken up the cement in the area where I plan on putting the shower. The main line is right underneath where I broke out the cement and plan to put the drain. My question is can I Tee right into this main line? Do I need to vent the shower if I do this? I know I have to put a trap in but what kind would this be for this installation? I have attached some pictures to show the layout and to clarify my questions.

Attachments

• basement shower.jpg
    basement shower.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 21,168
  • basement_iso.JPG
    basement_iso.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 11,230
  • basement_plan_view2.JPG
    basement_plan_view2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 10,796

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
rblystone said:
.... make it a full bath <....> main line is right underneath <....> can I Tee right into this main line? Do I need to vent the shower if I do this? <...> trap ... what kind <....>

hi rbly. I may be able to shed some light. First, i'll comment by adding what you probably already know. :D

1. your jpg's haven't shown any venting at all; this full bath needs vents somewhere.
2. "main line is right underneath" I saw the pipe right under your shower space, in the center. That is not good if you intend your shower to have a center drain right above the pipe, because you need room for the p-trap, the little stub coming out sideways, and the fitting on the main drain!!
3. All traps are always P traps, AFAIK. The bottom of the p trap is down below the height of the main drain, otherwise is acts as an S trap, which is not good. Do not use drum traps either.
4. i think the right way to connect your shower to the main drain line is with a Wye and not a Tee, and if that is the case then the right way to refer to it, is to avoid using the term "Tee into".

Depending on how you arrange your vents, the shower may be vented sufficiently, so it is not possible to comment on whether or not your shower needs venting "per se" all by itself. Although some could say that you need three vents for three drains...

General rule: Plan vents first. Then shoot drain (after its trap) over to the vent, so it is now vented, and then turn drain to the main drain and connect with a Wye. Everything depends on where you vent upstream of the shower p trap. AFAIK.

david

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Here is my first try - problem is you do not have a lot of depth to play with and I don't think the 3' can be the vent - looks like an upstairs waste line...

Attachments

• Shower1.jpg
    Shower1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 11,445

rblystone

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses it is great help. Here are a few other questions.

would i be better off to break the cement up down to the lav drain and tie the shower drain into this and then venting the lav drain? Can I use an AAV vent on the lav in this case? If the lav was already stubbed and roughed in, can I assume that the plumber who installed it vented it?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
no, no, no [1,2,3]

rblystone said:
...would i be better off to break the cement up down to the lav drain and tie the shower drain into this and then venting the lav drain? Can I use an AAV vent on the lav in this case? If the lav was already stubbed and roughed in, can I assume that the plumber who installed it vented it?

Negative.

I hope you find a way to look for and find a vent at the lav. Study your vents. Post a drawing showing walls so people can aadvise on vents.

btw, the drawing above by markts is not at all how i would do a first draft. however, since i am not a plumber, i shall wait until later' i do know you have to study and plan venting.

david

Prashster

Reaction score
You'll have to tee into that main line from the side, so your shower will have to be to the right or the left of that line. If it were me, I'd build the shower to the right, then I'd run the trap straight back (parallel to the main drain) until I got just beyond the wall frame. Then I'd run a vent up behind the wall, and just beyond that, I'd sweep 90 into the main drain line.

Alternatively, run the trap at 45 deg to the main line such that you can wye into it just beyond the wall. Just b4 the wye, you can run the vent arm up.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
It would be helpful if we knew how much depth you had to work with....
What is the dimension from the top of the 3" pipe to the bottom of the slab?
I considered drawing the plan to show a combo on it's side then sweeping up into a san tee (street if required) under the wall and swinging the tee to the P-Trap (venting out the top) but did not think he had the depth ....
As well, I looks like there is an existing 4" combo under the wall with a bushing in it leading to the 3" line under the slab...
Note: looks like you are going to bury the 4" cleanout - I would try to avoid that if I were you... Inspector might not like it....LOL.

Attachments

• Shower2.jpg
    Shower2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 10,446
  • Shower3.jpg
    Shower3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 10,547
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks