Basement Shower Drain Rough under (Black Box)

Users who are viewing this thread

Walter Schwartz

Reaction score
Years ago I had the builder of my house do a bathroom rough in. Now I want to put this bathroom in, myself. It consists of a toilet, sink, and shower. For the shower drain it is in an square opening in the concrete floor (under this plastic black box filled with concrete). The drain pipe is in a horizontal position in this square opening in the concrete floor. They did not install a p-trap. One end of the drain pipe looks to be headed towards this ejector pump, the other end goes across this square hole in the floor and looks to be coved with some type of black tape.( I guess for the sewer gases). This other end with the tape on it, is all the way across to the other side of this square hole in the floor and partially going back under the rest of the concrete floor. My Question (finally) is should I be able to just cut into this PVC drain pipe where it needs to be position at to install p-trap and the shower drain? Or am I missing something here? (I am not a plumber). Why would this drain pipe go all the way across this square opening in the floor to the other side and partially go back under the concrete floor? Is this normal? Please Help. This is a drawing of my drain pipe: Drain Pipe.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
He left some extra pipe so that the position of the trap can be installed based on the size of the shower. When he set the drain line, he has no idea what shower you will install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks