Basement shower drain / floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim R

Reaction score
Hi:
I had a plumber give me an estimate for a basement shower drain and his idea is to tie in to the floor drain.
I thought this was not advised, but I have read where it's OK if the drain goes to the sewer line.
My question is, how can I tell that the floor drain empties to the sewer without busting up the concrete or using expensive equipment like a camera ? thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Where else do you suspect the floor drain empties into? If you suspect that your floor drain is emptying into your sump where the sump pump is, you could test by flowing water down the drain with a garden hose, and see if sump pump activity increases.

Jim R

Reaction score
thanks, but there is no sump pump. The drain is located about 5 feet from main stack..which tells me its likely. I am not sure where else it might run to...wherever the gutters run ?(the ends go into concrete around the house).
Also I noticed it doesn't have a plug...not sure if that means anything. The house was built in mid 50s and I'm in Ohio.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Normally there would be a cleanout where the stack enters the floor. If so, take the cap off and you should be able to hear water from the floor drain entering the pipe.

Of greater concern is that the shower trap will need a seperate vent, which the floor drain may not have had,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks