basement rough in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by robert8, Sep 26, 2010.

1. robert8

robert8 New Member

Hi,
    I am planing to finish my basement bathroom in a single house built 2 years ago in Maryland. I have some question about these pipe rough ins. The are 2 biger ones. one is black 5" and in 2 ft away is a 4 " white one. I guess the black one is for toilet. but what is the white one for? if for the shower drain, it is too close to the toilet and is just 2 food in front of the sink drain pipe. There are another two 2"pipes behighd the 2 bigger ones.. one with tee connection and connect to the first floor for vent, I guess this is for sink drain, and another one without Tee connection, I guess this is for tube drain. Also, How do I know there is or is not a P trap under the cement fo r the tube? Do I need connect any more vent for the tube or toilet?
    Many thanks
    Robert

Attached Files:

2. Gsalet

Gsalet George the Plumber

Wow Talk about a stab in the dark!! I would open the capped 2" pipe and see if it has a trap under the slab. If it does it looks like a tub drain. If it doesn't I would guess vent for toilet. My best guess is the black pipe is a cleanout. But in till you open the pipe you will not Know. I suggest calling a plumber who has a video inspection camera to figure it out, Probably cheaper to have him finish the plumbing for you than making mistakes.
  3. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

The 2" stub coming out of the vent stack is for your lav, the 2" stub coming up from the slab is for your tub/shower drain, the 4" stub coming up from the slab is for your toilet, and the 5" black stub might possibly be a backwater valve. You better leave plenty of access to that pit ejector unit if you plan on finishing this yourself.
  4. robert8

robert8 New Member

Thanks, Basement-lurker,
    Do you suggest that I should install the backwater valve before or at the sametime when I finish the basement bathroom?
    There is a big stub (6" white pipe) with openable cap on the yard outside of the walk-out basement, looks like related to a sewer system, is that a backwater valve, too?
    Many thanks
    Robert
  5. robert8

robert8 New Member

Many thanks , Gsalet. Your answer is quite helpful.
    Do you mean the black pipe ,"a cleanout" is something that the Basement_Lurker mentioned backwater valve?
    Thanks again.
    Robert
  6. Gsalet

Gsalet George the Plumber

I don't think it's a backwater valve but I could be wrong