Basement Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

shamrock_94

Reaction score
I'm starting to consider finishing my basement, which includes a full bath that was roughed in by the builder. In looking at what was done it appears that the tub was set way to close to the staircase. See the pics below. Am I missing something, or was an error made? If so any ideas for solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 3,001
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,913

GregO

Reaction score
roughin

1. Does the 2" pipe have a p-trap in the slab?
2. Using a flashlight, can you see the water level after pouring some water down it? Would have been nice if it had been boxed in instead to allow for any adjustments, but removing the concrete and replumbing it will not be too difficult if at all necessary.
3. Do you have any specs or pictures of the pipe layout (with vents!)? I don't see any vent pipes in your picture; would be ideal if you had photos of the pre-pour pipe layout too.

Greg

shamrock_94

Reaction score
rough in

Greg,
#1 as far as the P-Trap being buried....???? I haven't popped the cap on the pipe and checked. I'll look into it and let post.

Pipe layout. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo or the layout. I'm currently checking with the builder, and the township to see if they have anything on file about how things were plumbed. As far as the vent goes there is one behind me (from the photo's perspective) a few (4-5) feet. A 3.25" thin wall PVC pipe from the concrete rising up to vent the 1/2 bath above. I assume this is the vent for the bathroom set in the basement.

Any chance the "box" is there under a thin coat of concrete.?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

For a bathtub the drain appears to be in EXACTLY the right place, assuming it is also the correct distance out from the back wall. At the most it might have to be moved 1" CLOSER to the stairway or the wall moved a bit, depending on which tub and tub drain you use.

shamrock_94

Reaction score
Tub roughin

HJ,
Perhaps I'm missing something. The drains I see on most tubs have to be 7-10 off the rough wall. Am I looking at this the right way? Is stub out of the concrete the drain for the tub, or the overflow (with the drain shoe further to the left buried in the concrete)? See the attached pic.

Attachments

• 200510_CleanShower_img003.jpg
    200510_CleanShower_img003.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 14,745

GregO

Reaction score
drain

HJ,
Perhaps I'm missing something. The drains I see on most tubs have to be 7-10 off the rough wall. Am I looking at this the right way? Is stub out of the concrete the drain for the tub, or the overflow (with the drain shoe further to the left buried in the concrete)? See the attached pic.

Both technically, but...if there is a p-trap underneath, then that stub out will be in line with the overflow pipe per your tub picture and you're good to go (as long as it's vented). I'm jealous b/c I'd like that setup in my basement, but for mine, I'd end up relocating the 2" drain pipe to install a Kerdi shower kit using a center drain. Don't know if you plan on a tub or a shower installation, though, but if the pipe by the stairs is indeed 2", then you have the easy option of installing a shower or a tub.
Greg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks