Basement Rough-in Stubs

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate5452

Reaction score
I am working on finalizing my basement finishing plan and my Rough-in is perplexing me. After much searching and somewhat guessing I think I might know what each of these Stubs are for, but I need some help to verify and of course help me answer a question.

In Colorado if that matters and the home was built in 2012.
See Attached

#1 (3 inches) is just a standard drain going (it seems) towards the backwater valve.

#2 (2-inches) definitely has a P-trap for a shower. the problem is all the standard size smallest showers that will fit there violate the space required for a toilet at spot 4. This drain seems to be going towards the main stack, but it is a P-trap I am assuming they can change any which direction they want.

#3 (2-inches) is most certainly a vent as it is in line with the main stack and probably would be buried in a wall or routed just to the other side of the wall (crawl space) (Though there is no vent above this to tap into only the drain for the kitchen sink/island). So an AAV in the crawl space I am leaning towards. I have enough drains to go around so I doubt I will need to make this a wet vent for a sink.

I need to buy a replacement cap and cut #4 to see where it is going. (Cap was glued on super good).

So my questions to anyone that can help.
1. Why would a sink(s) drain into a 3 inch drain (wet venting for the toilet?)
2. Can I put a toilet at #1 since placing a toilet at #4 along with the shower would violate code (15")
3. Is the vent (#3) supposed to tie into anything? It looks like it will be a straight up dry vent with an AAV to provide extra venting maybe for the shower and sink (if placed at #4 together.

FYI, I have had a couple of plumbers out and they both have given me different answers on what I can or cannot do regarding this set-up
Thanks again!
Nate

Attachments

• Basement Rough-in Update.JPG
    Basement Rough-in Update.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,098
  • Location of Drains.JPG
    Location of Drains.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 20160731_154505.jpg
    20160731_154505.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,709
  • Estimated floor Plan.JPG
    Estimated floor Plan.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,011

Nate5452

Reaction score
The more I read on this, I am starting to think the plumber planned for a Horizontal Wet Vent. Will/Can this work with the toilet at #1 the bottom left corner of my picture. As stated I think the main line goes from that #1 directly to the main stack at the upper right corner with everything else tieing off of this or at least the shower tieing off of this and the sink tieing off of that drain line.

Can someone clue me in a little bit better on Horizontal Wet Venting.?

My small boroscope is coming tomorrow so I can continue to investigate.

Thanks
Nate

MKS

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks