basement rough in - Floor plan?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianAg95

Reaction score
Alright, I thought I had everything figured out, and then BAM -- It was mentioned to me that if the 2" pipe is was meant to be a sink when plumbed then no p trap.. which means no shower/tub.. without of course slab breakup and below grade plumbing work..... Which I had wanted to avoid.

So here is the floorplan with measurements of the rough in location. Please can someone shed some light on how these pipe locations are meant to be used. I am also in the process of seeing if the builder knows if there is a p trap for a shower on the 2" pipe, or maybe the city permit office knows... I read that I could pour water into the 2" drain and see if it all drains away (no p trap), or if I can see it down the pipe (a P trap).. but I didn't want to cut the pipe open until I am ready to proceed.

My big dilemna is if this is meant to only be a toilet and sink, then this rough in layout makes no sense to me.... If it is meant to be a shower/toilet.. then they did a poor job of spacing as I can't find a shower pan that would fit well in the space that is left. If it is supposed to be a tub.. then there is no "dap-out" and again location makes no sense....

So here is the floor layout, with measurements.. measurements are to the center of the pipes. The wall layouts are what I have been planning.. the dark gray thick wall is foundation wall. The dark gray thin wall can move left but not right. The "wall" where the vent stacks go up seems a no brainer. The toilet rough in is 1'6" from the center of the vent pipes to the center of the toilet rough in. The 2" pipe is 3' 9 1/2" from the vent pipe "wall". The toilet rough in is 4'9" from the foundation wall, and the 2" pipe is 1' 10 1/2" from the foundation wall.

The shaded region is a reduced ceiling height of 6'11" due to vent obstructions, so it can be ignored for this discussion. All the light gray walls can be moved, they are just what made most sense to me. Here is the diagram....

So again my main question here is what layout is this rough in designed for? IE what did the plumber/builder have in mind for bathroom layout that had them put the pipes where they are.

Thanks

Attachments

• rough in.jpg
    rough in.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,002

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

That location would imply it is a shower drain, (you didn't mention that there were two stacks adjacent to them), but only a visual check can be verify it. The next question would be, "If that is the case, then where is the sink going to go? Or more to the point where did the original installer plan to connect the sink?"

BrianAg95

Reaction score
As the diagram shows, YES there is a vent stack for each of the two pipes. One for the 2" pipe, and one for the toilet. The main drain stack is just off the plan to the Right.

Which if you put a shower in for the 2" drain, and then put a Basin in to the right of the shower, the basin ends up 6.5 feet from the main drain stack, so with the 1/4 inch per foot drop required, It can easily tie into the main drain stack above the cleanout. This also makes sense, to some degree because the 2 vent stacks for the existing rough in, exit the basement ceiling right above where the basin would end up being placed, IE tieing the vent in for the sink also becomes easy....

Here is the floor plan I had planned with the main stack shown.. sorry no measurements on this one.. but I think you get the idea.

So As to the "next question" I would assume the rough in plumber's idea on the sink would be located about where I have put it, or somewhere else in that vicinity, as to tie in with the main drain stack, and tie into the vent piping already leaving the ceiling between the shower rough and the main drain stack. Makes sense and is really not to much to deal with...

Thoughts?

So the visual check... are you referring to checking to see if I can see water in a p trap down the 2" pipe, or are you referring to something else? Is there some way to be sure there is a Ptrap down that pipe?

(the black circle against the north wall is where the vent stack for the rough in ends up leaving the ceiling of the basement, the blue line is my new vent piping I need to add (one for the washer + one for the sink))

Attachments

• rough in2.jpg
    rough in2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,279
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks