Basement Rough-In & DWV Planning Advice

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by TonyT, Mar 31, 2005.

1. TonyT

TonyT Director, Software Development

Hello,

Ok, so I've probably gotten myself in over my head, but that's what life is all about - challenges, right? I want to install a basement bathroom in a 15 year old home that has no rough-in (I am going for low-cost, hence the do-it-yourself approach). I've researched as best as I can and I think I have read every related thread on this site (and kudos to this forum, it is great!).

I'm not sure where to start asking questions, but I have drawn as detailed of a plan as my knowledge will let me. These plans are attached. I guess I am wondering if I am on the right track? I want to cut as little of the concrete slab as possible, hence the decision to put the toilet right in front of the main stack. The biggest area of confusion to me is the DWV system. Am I on the right track here? The water supply side seems pretty straight forward in this situation. Any tips or advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any help! :D

Tony.

Attached Files:

2. Clayton

Clayton Plumber

existing main stack

I am assuming the fixtures on the first floor drain down this main waste stack, So your toilet and sink can not use the waste stack as a vent. The toilet will need to be vented before it connects with the stack, you can drain your sink into that vent. Then that vent needs to go up above the fixtures on the first floor (42" min. above first floor) before reconnecting to an existing vent stack. The basement sink is close enough to the toilet that you do not need to revent it if you drain it into the toilet vent.