Basement plumbing revision - novicepiper

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
REVISION to thread: image 1 is the system that was approved - i had to flip the tub 180 so image 2 is how it stands right now.

the link below is the original thread - i started this one due to revisions. I think many people that kindly contributed last time think its dead. no responses:)

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20538

Page 3 last image post

QUESTIONS -
1) how do i connect the tub so it vents correctly?
(as redwood said 'tub has lost its wet vent'.

2) do i now need to cut into the blue pipe and also while doing this can i add in the floor drain.

if someone would like me to submit a proposal (though i have very lttle experience) i can do so - im not here to waste anyones time - just here to learn

many thanks novicepiper

Attachments

• basement_r_4.jpg
    basement_r_4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,691
  • modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    modified_basement_Bathroom.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3,614
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You have turned your tug's P trap into an illegal and poor functioning "S" trap. There are several ways it could be corrected, but without knowing the actual planes of the various piping, and the layout of the finished room, it cannot be done from your drawing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Note the reversal of the wye and the elbow between the 2 pictures. This is what created the illegal s-trap. You could do it shown in the second drawing but you would need to run a vent to the tub line.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Note the reversal of the wye and the elbow between the 2 pictures. This is what created the illegal s-trap. You could do it shown in the second drawing but you would need to run a vent to the tub line.

so i added the vent to the tub (something like this?) - would this now correctly vent the tub? - the position of the actual vent on the tub waste line would prob need positioning better - im not trying to be a plumber...thats apparent - im just trying to learn - so thanks to the both of you - HJ and Redwood :)

any feedback would be great

thanks again novice piper

Attachments

• plumbing with tub vent.jpg
    plumbing with tub vent.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have turned your tug's P trap into an illegal and poor functioning "S" trap. There are several ways it could be corrected, but without knowing the actual planes of the various piping, and the layout of the finished room, it cannot be done from your drawing.

could you list some of the sveral ways HJ - (I have sort of added the vent to the tub line(re redwoods rec - though this is improperly positioned!?) - basically re planes of pipes, no pipes can go higher than the wet vent to the right of the closet/toilet (though it looks like it on the image - i did this for speed - this layout is avchievable if correct). I could cap the wye off the wet vent and cut into the 4" and somehow add the floor drain and tub waste and vent both through a dry vent!?

does that sound like a plan - I respect any feedback anyone has on here as your all full of excellent ideas etc - any directions would be most appreciated.

thanks noivicepiper.

Last edited:

Plumber Jim

Reaction score
Website
www.broomfieldplumber.com
I would remove the 2" wye you have going into the 3" for the lav and put a 90 there and then take the drain for the lav and run it down the new drain you just did for the tub. that saves to you pipe and you won't end up with a horizontal dry vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

One way would be to ditch the y and install a combination Y-1/8 bend with the inlet horizontal and run to the tub P trap, depending on how long the branch would be. Another one might be to install a Y near the trap, and then extend it up in the wall where the faucets will be installed. As I said, the best way depends on more information than we have as to what the room is going to look like.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would remove the 2" wye you have going into the 3" for the lav and put a 90 there and then take the drain for the lav and run it down the new drain you just did for the tub. that saves to you pipe and you won't end up with a horizontal dry vent.

Sorry i dont understand that at all :( - if i was to remove the 2" Wye going into the 3" then how would i now run my waste from the tub and lav. i prob got that wrong put thats the way im reading/understanding it!? could you explain a little more please...if you have the time

thanks

np

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
here is the revision for what i think will work based on redwood and HJ - HJ I took your second example as this would be the easiest to do....either one please comment as and when convenient to do so -

would this work?

could i also tie in the floor drain to the yellow waste coming from the tub - i would connect it with a wye!?

& this is a very quick visual of what the bathroom would look lke (layout)

many thanks in advance np

Attachments

• bathroomREV_1.jpg
    bathroomREV_1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 714
  • visual_QUICK.jpg
    visual_QUICK.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
floor drain

The vent looks good. Ideally, the floor drain should be connected to the main drain system with its own vent. If you connect it to the tub drain, or any other fixture, it will flood during drainage if the line gets even partially obstructed.

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
The vent looks good. Ideally, the floor drain should be connected to the main drain system with its own vent. If you connect it to the tub drain, or any other fixture, it will flood during drainage if the line gets even partially obstructed.

So the way the tub is setup now will drain as it's supposed too... (I think you answered that - just making sure)! thanks in advance HJ / everybody else :)

Thanks very very much HJ for your response - re the floor drain when you say its own vent you mean out to the roof (cannot be attached to existing vent line)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks