Basement P Trap - 1 1/2" or 2" (Tub/Shower)

Users who are viewing this thread

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
So, I have to redo, some plumbing. Basically, the tub drain I put together dees to be tweaked.

On the one I currently have, I have a 1 1/2" to 2" coupling to go from the drain into a 2" P trap. Now that things are a little tighter and I have to connect everything with the tub in place, is it OK to use a 1 1/2" trap, then use the connector to the 2" drain pipe.

I originally went with a 2" P trap since I figured it was a safer bet. I can get both in there, the 1 1/2 will just be a smidge easier. Is there a benefit to either one?

It is a tub/shower unit, not just a shower. I know if it was a shower only, it would require 2".

Once I get done with setting everything up, I was going to backfill the area with gravel, but no concrete (unless issues develop). So, it will not be permanently encased in concrete.

I just want to make sure I can go from a 1 1/2" P trap to a 2" drain pipe directly.

TIA...Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks