Basement P Trap - 1 1/2" or 2" (Tub/Shower)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by hhcibtpaun, Apr 20, 2009.

1. hhcibtpaun

hhcibtpaun New Member

So, I have to redo, some plumbing. Basically, the tub drain I put together dees to be tweaked.

On the one I currently have, I have a 1 1/2" to 2" coupling to go from the drain into a 2" P trap. Now that things are a little tighter and I have to connect everything with the tub in place, is it OK to use a 1 1/2" trap, then use the connector to the 2" drain pipe.

I originally went with a 2" P trap since I figured it was a safer bet. I can get both in there, the 1 1/2 will just be a smidge easier. Is there a benefit to either one?

It is a tub/shower unit, not just a shower. I know if it was a shower only, it would require 2".

Once I get done with setting everything up, I was going to backfill the area with gravel, but no concrete (unless issues develop). So, it will not be permanently encased in concrete.

I just want to make sure I can go from a 1 1/2" P trap to a 2" drain pipe directly.

TIA...Mike
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That is fine...
  3. hhcibtpaun

hhcibtpaun New Member

Cool...Thanks for the quick response (as always)...

Mike