Basement laundry room plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
Hey all, great site been lurking for a while.

Want to make sure this will work before plumbing it. I live in Ontario Canada, Planning on putting a washer and Laundry sink into the basement. The main stack is about 10' away from where I plan on putting the washer and Laundry tub, I plan on running a 2" pipe with a 2" vent going up to the upper floors, the vent pipe will be tied in at about the 8' mark of that run. at the 10' mark I plan on putting a Y 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 layed on it side so all openings are on the same horizantal plane, my stand pipe and laundry sink will have thier own 1 1/2 inch p traps, the stand pipe will be about a foot away from the y and the laundry sink will be about 1.6 ft. I attached a picture hopefully my description makes sense, will this work?

Everything is also sloped 1/4 inch per foot.

Attachments

• Laundry room plumbing.png
    Laundry room plumbing.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 20,271
Last edited:

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
in place of the 2' x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Y could i put a double Y and use the middle one as the vent for both traps or do I need to have a vent per trap

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither is vented properly. The vent MUST come off of the trap arm before it turns down. ANd, while you can combine vents, EACH trap needs to be separate...you can combine them later, but there are rules for that.

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
Jadnashua, it's hard to tell from a diagram but that Wye is supposed to be horizontal so there is no downturn, just sloped to the stack. I could place a double Y on the horizontal as well if that would work if not I guess I will just vent them separately and join them up above the tub and washer high points.

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
Pretty sure unless I am reading it completely wrong that here in Ontario Canada a washer stand pipe can be 1 1/2", this is from the Ontario Code

Washer Code.png

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Codes have been changed to require 2" drains for washers because modern washers empty their water much faster than the old ones. Even is your local codes have not been changed yet, you should go with the 2" anyway.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see that a beer cabinet only requires a 1.5" drain.
Is that a Canada thing? I have no idea what a beer cabinet is.

A washer will work with a 1.5" drain. I haven't installed one that way South of the border of Canada in forty years, but I know it will work. It's how they were done here for a long time.
If I had a 2" nearby though, I wouldn't even consider running it in 1.5". I would pick up some fittings and just change it. :)
But then that's US thinking.

I would vent the sink and the washer seperately though. You can then tie those vents back together at 42"

Last edited:

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, it's appreciated, I hopefully I understood everything, this is what I came up with.

Three questions

1. Fitting A on the diagram, can that be fitted at an angle, so the top outlet is at a 45 degree angle? I would then have another 45 to line it up with the other vent pipe that is recessed or do I have to go straight up and use 2 45's?

2. C on the diagram - how much higher does the vent have to go above the stand pipe before I can join the two vent pipes?

3. B on the diagram, should this be a Y or a Sanitary T ? Will either pass inspection?

Laundry room plumbing ver 2.png

Thanks again for all your help

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
1.5" Is acceptable in Ontario for a WM. If your laundry tub and washing machine are close together, then it would be easiest for you if you run just one 1.5" drain from the main stack to the laundry tub, and gang trap the washing machine using a sanitary TY on the vertical pipe upstream of the trap for the laundry tub. The vent is also only required to be 1.5". Just make sure it is within 5 feet of the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks