Basement Laundry Room - Advice needed for drains... - pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan4465

Reaction score
Hey all! just a resilient DIY'er here looking for some advice. I'm building a finished laundry room in the basement of the house I bought a few months ago. I'm doing a top to bottom renovation, and I'm more than halfway, so the brain is getting a little fired, so please take it easy on me if my question is novice!

See attached image. I tore out the old "finished" laundry area which was comprised of peg-board nailed to a few 2x4's, and I'm going for a really nice finished look. As you can see, I've done the framing, and I have most of the copper in place. My intention is to have a nice 30" laundry vanity under the window, with the washer and dryer beside it to the right respectively. My question is, what to do about the drains?

As you can see, the previous homeowner ran a 2" line which used to go all the way to the corner, but I cut back since I wanted the sink under the window. Above that which I labeled is the waste pipe from the upstairs bathrooms, which the kitchen sink ties into. (Original from what I can tell) Also labeled you can see the tiny stack and trap someone patched in for the washer drain. (not sure how well it worked, since the stack needs to be 18" to 24" right?)

I plan on capping the old stack, and I would like to get the laundry vanity\sink drain and the drain for the laundry on that 2" pipe if possible, but right now the issue is venting. It appears that the previous owner relied on the venting for the upstairs bathrooms which puts air behind that big waste pipe to vent the washer, and they had no venting at all for the old sink. (the old utility sink was just connected to that 2" pipe with no vent!)

Any suggestions? My only thought since I have yet to tear out the 1/2 bath directly above this area was to branch off the vent pipe from there down into the basement to get venting for my new vanity\sink and washer. Any ideas would be great. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

Thanks...

laundry.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks