Basement laundry question

Users who are viewing this thread

davise

Reaction score
I want to move my laundry from the 2nd floor to the basement. However, the preferred location is on the other side of the basement from the main stack. The closest drain pipe (from upper floor) appears to be a 2" pipe (~12 feet away) and is in the ceiling. There is a basement bathroom with a shower, toilet, and lav, but is over twice as far away from the preferred location. As another point of information, the washer instructions allow for the discharge to be as much as 8 feet above the floor. I'm concerned about proper venting. What are my venting options? How close does the vent need to be to the washer? Here's a flyer: can an auxiliary vent be created and vented out at just above ground level? I fear I'm in for a major rework.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not a pro but you could probably use an AirAdmittanceValve but you cant have an atmospheric vent outside at the ground level because the sewer gases have to dissipate. That area of your house could smell and an open window on that side could get sewer gases blowing back in. I think code sets a certain height above your roof for open vents..

The higher you push the water the slower your washer pump drains.

Lastly the washer has to pump up to the trap and the venting has to start there.

Last edited:

davise

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I did some quick research on the Air Admittance Valve. Looks like it will solve the venting question. Assuming this valve is at the washer, how far can I run the discharge "horizontally" (i.e. at 1/4 inch down slope per foot)? In an attempt to hook up the washer discharge to the already existing basement bathroom plumbing (35 feet along the wall), can I "manufacture" an extra deep P-trap to allow for a the longer run and prevent siphoning? I estimate about 9 inches of vertical drop are necessary for this distace.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is vented properly, you can run it any distance as long as the slope is right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks