Basement insullation vs wiring

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by richrc1131, Sep 21, 2009.

1. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

I hope this is the appropriate place for this question. Here it goes:

I need to insulate my basement, but there is a lot of wiring between the support joists. I can get the insulation behind all of that, but I wanted to know what are the general code considerations in this situation.

Do I have to do anything special at junction boxes or anything like that?
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

A few things to consider and I am sure others will add more.

First, you need to be careful when covering light fixtures with insulation. The lights needs to be rated for this purpose.

Second, junction boxes need to be accessible. They cannot be hidden behind drywall. This may require the use of a) access panels or b) a suspended ceiling.
  3. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

Possible silly question here: Is it safe to leave fiberglass roll insulation uncovered? Meaning, since I have to insulate the basement ceiling and I also have to install a drop ceiling, do I run any health risks by leaving the drop ceiling portion of this project for a later time?
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

If it's got the paper backing on it, then technically this should not be left uncovered since it might present a fire risk.
  5. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

No health worries though?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Fiberglass insullation can shead fibers, so it would be a good idea to try to prevent that. Any air movement across it can result in a shower of fibers as can contact, which are not the greatest thing to inhale or to get on you. So, maybe staple up some plastic or paper. It should be fairly easy to remove, if desired, when you get to install the ceiling and won't take much time or money to install. Both faced and unfaced fiberglass will burn.
  7. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades