Basement floor drain extender?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotbacon

Reaction score
What is the typical way to raise a basement floor drain when a subfloor and finish floor are installed? I see the big boxes have floor drain extenders that will raise the drain 1/4" - 1/2", but they are for 3" drains. Sounds like this is for tiling a shower.

My drain is 4" cast iron and I'll need to bring it up ~1.25" (7/8" DriCore + 3/8" laminate floor).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
THere is no "typical way to extend it", because there is no "typical" floor drain. If it is cast iron, the strainer may unscrew to raise it, but that is only one way to change the elevation, assuming it is the "correct" type of cast iron drain. With other drains there is NO way to raise them properly. You have to do some creative handyman work.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
What are you measuring that is 4"? Is that the size of the grate, the threads on the strainer, or the body of the valve?

Hotbacon

Reaction score
Apparently my memory was way off. The grate of the floor drain is about 7 3/8" diameter (not 4"), and it fits inside the rim of the drain that is flush w/ the surface of the concrete slab. Under the grate is the drain and a cleanout.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=cf20758c6041479f6cbbd47cbb382743&sid=0AaNGjlo4cNWTrY

Any ideas on how to neatly raise this drain cover would be welcome. Currently my best idea is to just get another grate and install it on top of the finished floor (double grated drain).

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A picture of the cover is useless, because if it can be raised you have to do something with the drain itself. From the little you show of it, however, it appears to be a "one piece" body which has NO provison for adjustment. IF that is the case, all you can do is cobble up some type of riser. A better picture might revise that estimate however.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks