Basement electrical wires

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by lmei007, Feb 5, 2013.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I am finishing my basement. I know usual we drill holes for wire/romax to go through the joists. I am reorganizing the wires to make them travelling along one side of the rooms. I don't want to drill so many holes or few big holes. I am planning to build a soffit along that side for those wires. Then I just attach the wires to the bottom of the joists inside the soffit. Is it ok? like showing on the attached picture.

Attached Files:

2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Not bundled like that. They need some space between them to let heat dissipate
  3. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

Use "cable stackers" to neatly support those cables and maintain space between them. They are sold at every decent hardware store and
    home improvement center. Cable like that shown in your photo needs to be supported at least every 4 1/2 feet.