Basement cleanout/drain pipe cover

Users who are viewing this thread

bmw220

Reaction score
Hello, found this great website while googling and hope to get some advice on my problem.

I am finishing my basement and will be installing carpet in couple of weeks. In the basement floor, there is a white PVC pipe which is sticking out 2.5" (don't know if it is a drain or cleanout. When I opened up the screw plug, it looked dry). I would like to cut that pipe flush to the floor and install a cover on top. I am hoping I can get some screw on covers from home depot or lowes. Please advice of this is feasible and if there are any issues I should be aware of. Picture is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC01155.jpg
    DSC01155.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32,379

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It is a cleanout, but you will not find any "decorative" plugs for it. In fact the only thing that will fit it without breaking concrete is a "Top Kap" cleanout that will glue inside the pipe once you cut it off flush with the concrete. Then the easiest way, if not the prettiest one, will be a flat stainless steel cleanout cover plate with a screw in the center to secure it to the cleanout plug.

bmw220

Reaction score
Could you let me know what a top kap looks like and will it be available at HD or lowes?

Is there a way to put internal threads on the pipe inexpensively? I amd thinking about cutting the pipe flush and put the threads so a threaded cap will cover this. It seems like the steel plate will require some kind of plug in the pipe (screwed or glued) as it has screw hole in the center. I wish they had a flat steel cover with screw holes on the perimeter.

Thanks for your valuable input guys.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you place a decorative pillar over it, or place in a storage space? Take another photo, but make it a wide angle to see where this is situated in the basement. This would make things easier for the experts to recommend a simple fix.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
top cap

I cannot find a picture, but the top cap is an ABS fitting that glues INTO a pipe riser and has a screwed plug in it. You cut the pipe flush with the floor, then glue the top cap into the riser, it has a flange to prevent it from going below the surface. Then you use the flat plate shown in the previous posting to give a finished appearance to it.

bmw220

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I cut the pipe flush to the floor and was able to find a plug (PVC with rubber ring) that fits in the fole by tightening a nut on the top. By tightening the nut, the rubber moves outwards and makes a tight fit.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I cut the pipe flush to the floor and was able to find a plug (PVC with rubber ring) that fits in the fole by tightening a nut on the top. By tightening the nut, the rubber moves outwards and makes a tight fit.
That will give you a good seal. They work great. Good luck with the remodel

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks