basement bathtub install - morter patch

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by nayte, Jan 28, 2008.

1. nayte

nayte New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I am finishing my basement, and will be installing a two or three piece tub / shower. My basement has been roughed in. There is a 2 inch pipe sticking out of the cement floor for the tub drain. Should there be a morter patch that I need to chip out in order to properly install the drain and overflow?

Also, do I need to install aqua board behind the tub and shower, or can the 3 piece shower simply be attached directly to the studs?

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    2" line is required for a shower. 1-1/2" line for a tub. So, it may have been plumbed for a shower instead of a tub. Not a big problem, but yes, you need to probably tear out a little bit to see what's there, and you'll need a fitting to make the sizes match up. It would be rare that the pipe was exactly where you wanted it, so tearing out a little will allow you to accommodate the tub drain. You need to verify there's a trap in there, and after you get things checked out, you might go with a 1-1/2" trap - it might give you a little more leaway verses the bigger one.

No need for anything on the walls although you may want to put up a vapor barrier. Most of those that I've seen are designed to bring the drywall down over the flange of the enclosure.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    2" is a minimum pipe size under grade. It could be either a tub or, a shower drain. Size would not be an indicator here. Placement would be! Is the placement where a tub drain would land or, a shower drain?