Basement bathroom where does it drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ryan87500, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ryan87500

ryan87500 New Member

I recently purchased a house with a full bathroom in the basement. It is about 10 feet from the sewage pump so I always assumed that it went into that basis and then was pumped out. Today I was bored and let the water run in the bathtub for awhile and I never heard the pump go on.

My main sewer line is about 3-4 feet below the first floor, so essentially at around head level in the basement. Is it possible that the bathroom in the basement goes directly to the sewer lower down or does it have to go to a basin to get pumped out?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It probably goes to the sewer and the pump is just a groundwater receiver.
  3. ryan87500

ryan87500 New Member

I have a separate pump for rainwater. This sewer pump goes right to the sewage line.
  4. Hotbacon

Hotbacon New Member

If the main sewer line is head height in the basement, how would the basement tub drain up to it?
  5. ryan87500

ryan87500 New Member

The only way would be the sewer pump but when the tub is on the pump doesn't go off.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Depending on the size of the basin and the capacity of the pump, it might only run for 10 seconds for every 10-15 minutes the water is running.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Missed that. I thought he said the sewer line was below the basement floor, not the first floor. In this case the only place it can drain is to the sewer pump.