Basement Bathroom Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
I am adding a basement bathroom. I know I need to add an exhaust fan for moisture expulsion, but the question is, what's the easiest way to route this to the outside? What is typical? Through the attic? Through the first floor side wall? How?

Any help appreciated

Prashster

Reaction score
Can I tie the bathroom's exhaust duct into the existing dryer exhaust duct? I have easy access to that pipe. Do they make one-way valves that I can place in each line so the bathroom doesn't vent into the dryer or vice versa?

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't, due to the moisture if there is a shower used in the space all the time, would cause the lint to turn into a hard mass, and be a fire hazard. If it is only a toliet in the space, and the exhaust fan is for removing the smell, that could be a possibility. Personnally I would vent with a different outside vent.

Prashster

Reaction score
How about venting through the window? My windows are the small, 12"-just-lets-in-a-little-light kind of windows. If I replace the window in the bathroom-to-be with an exhaust fan, then am I violating some kind of 'proper egress' code?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't vent it through the dryer...A window that small isn't considered an egress, so you can do pretty much what you want with it (my unprofessional opinion). You could replace it with lexan, which would allow you to make a hole and still attach the vent without things breaking. You can get it with a UV resistant coating. There'd be still some light coming in.

Prashster

Reaction score
FYI, I decided to go through the rim joist of the first floor. I see that's how the dryer gets vented, so I'll just make another hole in similar fashion.
Thanks for all the comments.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks