Basement bathroom--use shower vent for toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Planning stages of basement bathroom. Here is a photo of the corner area I have picked out.

-The purple is the existing 4" running in the slab. The location is confirmed via camera.

-That stack on the left of the photo is all vent pipe above the upper 4" San-T. So I can tie into that to vent this bath group.

-The brown is the estimated framing.

-You can see the location I want to put the toilet and lav. The shower will be a 36" x 60" in the corner where the shelving is.

Here is a real photo of the basement.

Attachments

• 100_7199.jpg
    100_7199.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,561

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Here is a sketch of how Im thinking of setting the fixtures. Is it OK to use the shower drain as a wet vent for the toilet?

-Purple is existing 4"
-Gray will be 3" for toilet
-Green will be 2" for shower and vent
-Orange will be 1.5" for lav.

The vent locations are shown in red circles.

Attachments

• 667i9.jpg
    667i9.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,486
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, but you CANNOT connect to that "vent" unless you connect at least 6" above the overflow level of ANY fixtures connected to it, otherwise YOUR new vent will become a "secondary drain line" in the event of a stoppage. I am also dubious about it just being a vent, because if so, there is no reason for it to be there.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Yes, but you CANNOT connect to that "vent" unless you connect at least 6" above the overflow level of ANY fixtures connected to it, otherwise YOUR new vent will become a "secondary drain line" in the event of a stoppage. I am also dubious about it just being a vent, because if so, there is no reason for it to be there.

Thanks hj... If you notice the 4" San-T going into the wall, that picks up two garage drains. I am 100% positive that there are no other fixtures draining into that stack above the 4" San-T. As a note, I am also positive that these garage floor drains and therefore this stack is draining into the sanitary city sewer and not the storm sewer.

I have another 4" stack about 20 feet away in the basement and that one picks up all my 1st and 2nd floor fixtures(kitchen, laundry and 2.5 baths)

This house isn't that old and I've always wondered why the builder couldn't spend the extra few dollars for some fittings to at least rough in a basement bathroom. Maybe that vent was his way of saying, "Here...at least I gave you and easy way to vent a basement bathroom" I dont know. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
This is my other fixture location plan. Move the toilet over beside the lav and wet vent thru the lav.

Attachments

• vista 1--WC lav along east wall.jpg
    vista 1--WC lav along east wall.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,208
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
On another forum:

It was suggested that I make only one tie-in to the main 4".

I was quoted that per that according to Ohio Chapter 4101:3-9. Any combination of fixtures within a bathroom group located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent. Also each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent. Would either one of the diagrams below(left or right) work.

Its the last part, "Also each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent" that i am having trouble interpreting. Would either one of the diagrams below(left or right) work.

Essentially each drawing has one 3" branch off the main 4".

In both drawings the lav is being used to wet vent the toilet and shower.

To me the drawing on the right more meets the requirement of "each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent".

Thanks if you can offer any insight.

Attachments

• side by side.JPG
    side by side.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,501
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
getting ready to knockout this floor to rough-in this basement bath(toilet, lav and shower). I bought the shower base, 34x48 with a center drain. This is how I'm planning the below grade plumbing for the toilet and shower.

-The lav will be plumbed above grade.

-Pics show plumbing for toilet and shower

-The purple line is the location of the existing 4" drain below grade

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,020
Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
floor opened up...
Tip: dont rent the Makita electric concrete saw from HD with the shop vac attachment for dust collection and think its going to collect all the dust from cutting. Not even close.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,112

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Got the rough in done. We also roughed in for a future laundry sink on the opposite side of the wall with the lav as seen in pictures 3 & 4.

And yes we got a little sloppy with the primer

Attachments

• IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 5,196
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 13,404
  • IMG_3936.JPG
    IMG_3936.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,233
  • IMG_3983.JPG
    IMG_3983.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_3984.JPG
    IMG_3984.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Last edited:

hboogz

Reaction score
great thread with great detailed pictures. Thanks hammerlane

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

rosem637

Reaction score
On your lav and laundry how high is the vent on the laundry before it goes horizontal and why are the studs on the "back" wall turned with their face out and not the edge. How do you plane to drywall with them like that?

Hammerlane

Reaction score
The vent goes horizontal at about 42". The studs on that back wall inside the shower alcove are positioned correctly because the shower base needs to be set far as back as possible. The other studs along that back wall will be turned.

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Supply plumbing, framing completed, shower set, exhaust fan in and electric done. Drywall next.

Used plaster to set shower base on as depicted in the pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,296
  • IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_4578.JPG
    IMG_4578.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 966

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Really? They let you flat vent through an unwashed drain.

Tom...the flat vent for the toilet(the part marked with orange) is washed by the shower. I attached another view to show that the shower is washing that part

Attachments

• IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,084

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks good.

I would have used a wye for the vent take-off, and I would of insulated the exterior walls before framing, but that's me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How did you get the "Y" into the main line with just ONE coupling? IF that 4" line only serves the garage floor drains, then you MUST tie the basement vents into that vertical one AT LEAST 6" above the garage floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks