Basement bathroom--use shower vent for toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Hammerlane, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Planning stages of basement bathroom. Here is a photo of the corner area I have picked out.

-The purple is the existing 4" running in the slab. The location is confirmed via camera.

-That stack on the left of the photo is all vent pipe above the upper 4" San-T. So I can tie into that to vent this bath group.

-The brown is the estimated framing.

-You can see the location I want to put the toilet and lav. The shower will be a 36" x 60" in the corner where the shelving is.

Here is a real photo of the basement.

Attached Files:

2. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Here is a sketch of how Im thinking of setting the fixtures. Is it OK to use the shower drain as a wet vent for the toilet?

-Purple is existing 4"
    -Gray will be 3" for toilet
    -Green will be 2" for shower and vent
    -Orange will be 1.5" for lav.

The vent locations are shown in red circles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Yes, but you CANNOT connect to that "vent" unless you connect at least 6" above the overflow level of ANY fixtures connected to it, otherwise YOUR new vent will become a "secondary drain line" in the event of a stoppage. I am also dubious about it just being a vent, because if so, there is no reason for it to be there.
  4. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Thanks hj... If you notice the 4" San-T going into the wall, that picks up two garage drains. I am 100% positive that there are no other fixtures draining into that stack above the 4" San-T. As a note, I am also positive that these garage floor drains and therefore this stack is draining into the sanitary city sewer and not the storm sewer.

I have another 4" stack about 20 feet away in the basement and that one picks up all my 1st and 2nd floor fixtures(kitchen, laundry and 2.5 baths)

This house isn't that old and I've always wondered why the builder couldn't spend the extra few dollars for some fittings to at least rough in a basement bathroom. Maybe that vent was his way of saying, "Here...at least I gave you and easy way to vent a basement bathroom" I dont know. Just my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

5. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

This is my other fixture location plan. Move the toilet over beside the lav and wet vent thru the lav.

Attached Files:

6. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

On another forum:

It was suggested that I make only one tie-in to the main 4".

I was quoted that per that according to Ohio Chapter 4101:3-9. Any combination of fixtures within a bathroom group located on the same floor level is permitted to be vented by a horizontal wet vent. Also each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent. Would either one of the diagrams below(left or right) work.

Its the last part, "Also each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent" that i am having trouble interpreting. Would either one of the diagrams below(left or right) work.

Essentially each drawing has one 3" branch off the main 4".

In both drawings the lav is being used to wet vent the toilet and shower.

To me the drawing on the right more meets the requirement of "each wet vented fixture drain shall connect independently to the horizontal wet vent".

Thanks if you can offer any insight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014