Basement bathroom- tub or framing first?

Users who are viewing this thread

oldrover

Reaction score
I am installing a basement bath in my 6 year old house. It has a rough in for a full bath.
Here is my question: Should I install the bathtub before or after framing the bathroom? It is an Americast tub if that matters.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
steps

First step. Frame the room.
Second step. Install the tub.

If you drop a hammer into the tub while framing the room, you would be a very unhappy DIY'er.

oldrover

Reaction score
Thanks! I was worried about framing it and then the tub not fitting right. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
when you frame for the tub make the opening 1/4-1/2 inch larger than the tub. If it is a standard 5 ft tub, make the opening at least 5ft01/4 inches. otherwise you will have a difficult time getting the tub in. You can frame the side wall toward the drain and the back wall, install the tub, then install the wall towards the foot of the tub.b

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks