Basement Bathroom Shower Install

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sdj1704, May 2, 2014.

1. sdj1704

sdj1704 New Member

Recently moved into a new house (in Georgia) where I had the basement bathroom roughed in.
    I have 1-1/2" waste pipe in an area where the tub/shower will be, 4" waste for toilet and 1-1/2" wastes for a double vanity.
    I also have hot and cold supply lines using PEX for both the bath/shower and double vanity.

I had a representative from the plumbing contractor come out and assure me that the P-Trap for the shower/tub is underground.
    I also cut the cap off, poured water and confirmed that water is present about 18" down (it would appear)

I want to install a 60" shower with right hand offset drain.
    The 1-1/2" riser is would end up being about 14" away from the drain of the shower.
    Am I allowed to simply install a 90 degree elbow and run straight to the riser reducing down from 2" to the 1-1/2" or do I need to put in a second p-trap directly beneath the shower drain?

I am attaching a photo of the layout also.

I intend on pulling up the floor, but this will obviously determine how deep I need to go.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can only install a single trap on a fixture.
    The floor would be cut, and the p-trap moved.

Most codes want to see a 2" for a double lav. They let us use one lav on 1.5"
  3. sdj1704

sdj1704 New Member

Thanks Terry for your quick response.
    If I decided to go with a tub instead of a shower, would this eliminate the need to move the trap?
    Thanks again
  4. sdj1704

sdj1704 New Member

Also Terry, Not sure what you mean by "2" for a double lav. They let use one lav on 1.5"
    I have been reading that baths typically use 1.5" vs showers needing 2", not sure I fully understand the difference here but it seems as though the builder was anticipating us putting in a bath not a shower?

Also, I am attaching a pic of the vanity rough-in (before they put the drywall up). The contractor is telling me that the bath/shower waste is vented correctly as we have a vent for the vanity. I just want to make sure I am not being sold a line here as I thought the vent would need to be closer to the bath waste for it to be effective. I don't have a picture to hand of the whole bathroom area, but I will say that the vent you see in this photo is approx 5ft from the bath waste pipe.

Attached Files:

5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Why not install and ACO linear drain over the location of the existing plumbing work? We convert tubs to showers all the time like this.