Basement Bathroom Shower Install

Users who are viewing this thread

sdj1704

Reaction score
Recently moved into a new house (in Georgia) where I had the basement bathroom roughed in.
I have 1-1/2" waste pipe in an area where the tub/shower will be, 4" waste for toilet and 1-1/2" wastes for a double vanity.
I also have hot and cold supply lines using PEX for both the bath/shower and double vanity.

I had a representative from the plumbing contractor come out and assure me that the P-Trap for the shower/tub is underground.
I also cut the cap off, poured water and confirmed that water is present about 18" down (it would appear)

I want to install a 60" shower with right hand offset drain.
The 1-1/2" riser is would end up being about 14" away from the drain of the shower.
Am I allowed to simply install a 90 degree elbow and run straight to the riser reducing down from 2" to the 1-1/2" or do I need to put in a second p-trap directly beneath the shower drain?

I am attaching a photo of the layout also.

I intend on pulling up the floor, but this will obviously determine how deep I need to go.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 417

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can only install a single trap on a fixture.
The floor would be cut, and the p-trap moved.

Most codes want to see a 2" for a double lav. They let us use one lav on 1.5"

sdj1704

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for your quick response.
If I decided to go with a tub instead of a shower, would this eliminate the need to move the trap?
Thanks again

sdj1704

Reaction score
Also Terry, Not sure what you mean by "2" for a double lav. They let use one lav on 1.5"
I have been reading that baths typically use 1.5" vs showers needing 2", not sure I fully understand the difference here but it seems as though the builder was anticipating us putting in a bath not a shower?

Also, I am attaching a pic of the vanity rough-in (before they put the drywall up). The contractor is telling me that the bath/shower waste is vented correctly as we have a vent for the vanity. I just want to make sure I am not being sold a line here as I thought the vent would need to be closer to the bath waste for it to be effective. I don't have a picture to hand of the whole bathroom area, but I will say that the vent you see in this photo is approx 5ft from the bath waste pipe.

Attachments

• DSC_0692.JPG
    DSC_0692.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 360

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why not install and ACO linear drain over the location of the existing plumbing work? We convert tubs to showers all the time like this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks