Basement Bathroom Rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Mat D

Reaction score
Hi All,

Nice to see there's a place where a DIYer can feel confident about finding the correct answers (instead of asking the brother in law LOL).

As the title goes, I'm adding a basement bathroom to my home...It's a new home with the ''roughs in'' already placed (stubs protruding through cement slab). Since ''NEW'' doesn't necessarily mean ''OK or VALID'' I thought I'd clear it with the pros before spending time and money.

Here is what is laid out, facing forward, from right to left : lavatory, toilet, shower. I'm assuming that all of these are tied into the main 3'' drain that exits the house.

My concern is that the venting may be improper/insufficient? It seems that only the toilet as an AAV Studor connected to a vertical 2''x 8.6' abs pipe. I'm worried that every time the toilet flushes, it will empty the shower's siphon.

Here's a simple mock up for your understanding.
EPSON006_zpsz1mywhxd.jpg
[/IMG]
EPSON006.JPG

The shower drain is abs 2'' and ties into the 3'' sewage pipe (both of them are actually ''in line'' with each other) and are 12'' center from the back wall, the lavatory ties into the same 3'' abs pipe that is connected to a ''t'' junction clean out that has a simple ''back flow'' valve on it. Don't know if this is Ok, but would love to read your thoughts.

I'm hoping that I'll only need to install a siphon on the shower drain to complete the set-up...and not break the slab again to add another AAV. I'm planning on putting in an acrylic shower pan set in mortar with a Wingtite drain assembly with 3m marine grade silicone.

http://www.wingtite.com/

Your thoughts please

Thanks a bunch,

Mat

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the toilet is the only riser with an AAV, (and actually it is the only one that does NOT need one), then neither the lav or shower is vented. And, since the BWV CAN create a back/positive pressure in the system AAVs may not work anyway.

Mat D

Reaction score
If the toilet is the only riser with an AAV, (and actually it is the only one that does NOT need one), then neither the lav or shower is vented. And, since the BWV CAN create a back/positive pressure in the system AAVs may not work anyway.

Update...Took the dry wall down and saw that the lavatory ties in about 30'' up from the cement slab (45 degrees than vertical) with the AAV stack that is connected to the toilet 3'' drain...Does this change anything?

Mat D

Reaction score
UPDATE ( I feel like the guy on Unsolved Mysteries in the early 90's)

The dishwasher and kitchen island sinks are tied in via 2'' abs to the 3'' main that connects to basement shower/toilet/lavatory...is this sufficient venting?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If that was done during the original construction, and the bathroom vents to the AAV, you should be fine.
I'm glad to hear that they picked up the lav venting on that.

The AAV should be accessible, and with an open air grill that allows air intake.

Mat D

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Terry! I've figured out how to add images using my phone (don't laugh)...You can no ''see'' that the island drain comes down and ties back in with the shower/toilet/lavatory and connect to the main drain (the hole in the black tile is where the clean out with the bwv is). Can you please confirm that I can proceed with my shower pea trap assembly and then set my acrylic base in mortar? Also, what would you recommend I use for drain assembly? I was planning on using a Wingtite but I'm open to all suggestions...simply don't want to have a leaky drain in 2-3 years. Finally, do I have to leave a space/gap between the abs pipe and concrete or simply ''butt up'' the concrete up against the pipe?

Again thanks so much,

Mat
IMG_20160422_124601817.jpg
IMG_20160422_124619232_HDR.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks