Basement Bathroom Rough-In

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by idoc4u, Nov 13, 2009.

1. idoc4u

idoc4u New Member

I am intending to cut my 4" thick 2 year old concrete basement floor in order to relocate the roughed in shower drain and toilet flange.

My plan is to cut the concrete with a 7" diamond tipped circular saw blade after spreading some water on the floor to help minimize friction.

Once I cut and remove the concrete and the make necessary plumbing adjustments, my plan is to place vapor barrier over the area and cover with concrete.

My question; is there a certain brand or mix of concrete I should use and how stiff should I mix the concrete that I pour?

Thank you for the replys.
  2. donfenyk

donfenyk DIY Junior Member

you can just get a high strenth concrete premix from Lowes or Home Depot and you will be fine.
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Don't mix it too wet - "pour" is just a figure of speech, and a misleading one. "Place" is a more accurate term.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

"spreading some water on the floor" is not going to help. You really need a small but continuous flow to the blade.
  5. donfenyk

donfenyk DIY Junior Member

I used a hose with a spray nozzle with just enough spray to keep down the dust. I had a second person hold the hose. I know its probably not the safest thing since i used an electric saw- but it worked just fine and there was almost no dust.

Use a good Diamond blade