Basement Bathroom - Overhead Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Home Alone

Reaction score
I am in the process of adding a bathroom in our basement, sounds easy enough but the plumbing & sewer are located over head about 7'. Is there some kind of pump I can use to move things shall we say, "UP Hill" ??

Thanks for the help on this....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ejector pump systems...come in a couple of varieties...both have pumps, one grinds things up first, the other doesn't. Both need a tank usually recessed in the floor with normal gravity drain lines flowing into it. SOrt of like a sump pump for draining water from under the floor except it is covered and vented and designed to pump solids. No tampex, etc., or you'll jam up the pump, though.

Lithnights

Reaction score
I just saw one of these on an episode of Ask This Old House. Very cool system. The tank didn't need to be recessed either. Everything was housed in the toilet tank and the sink waste line fed through the wall right into it. Once water/waste reached a certain level in the tank, it kicked on, grinded up, and sent the waste up the pipe and over and down to the sewer system.

Sweet setup. Said it cost about $800 or so, but that's not too shabby considering it resolves most basement bath problems.. and it's a toilet tank and bowl as well as pump!

Prashster

Reaction score
Search this forum for 'ejector' or 'sewage pump' for oft-repeated info in this forum.

Yr talking about above-ground systems. Saniflo and Zoeller make systems like this. I have not been able to find positive reviews for these, though. In general the above-ground systems have smaller pumps, smaller tanks, and thinner discharges than their inground big-brothers. This means the pump has to work harder and more frequently and that it can clog easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks