Basement bathroom install - cleanout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mandingo

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post on these boards but have been viewing them for months now, lots of smart minds and great stuff in here. I'm a (soon to be licensed) civil engineer so have a little more than half a brain, and have studied plumbing code for several hours now. The attached is what I plan on installing in the basement sub-slab here in a few weeks, and my only remaining question is installing a cleanout for the 2" run between the LAV and shower. The shower p-trap won't be accessible so no can do for a cleanout in NY plumbing code. Question is - can I install a 2" PVC test tee just upstream of the san-tee for the sink (within the sink cabinet) and satisfy a cleanout for the line? The WC does satisfy for a cleanout here in NY so the 3" is fine, the removable p-trap for the 2" section downstream of the LAV is acceptable, and wet venting to AAV's is also approved. Do you guys also see anything else wrong with this setup before I start breaking concrete? Thanks all - I do plan on contributing regularly on these boards now and have a bit of knowledge to share!

Attachments

• scannedDoc.jpg
    scannedDoc.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 523

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Great! Just what this world needs is more engineers, and lawyers for that matter. As a practical matter, the shower drain will act as a cleanout for that portion, the lav is connected within 3' of the "main line" so it doesn't need one, and the toilet, while I consider it the LEAST desirable point to be used as a cleanout, in this case is adequate because the back water valve is most likely to be where any clogging occurs. But if they insist, a cleanout in the lavatory riser is all you would need.

Mandingo

Reaction score
Great! Just what this world needs is more engineers, and lawyers for that matter. As a practical matter, the shower drain will act as a cleanout for that portion, the lav is connected within 3' of the "main line" so it doesn't need one, and the toilet, while I consider it the LEAST desirable point to be used as a cleanout, in this case is adequate because the back water valve is most likely to be where any clogging occurs. But if they insist, a cleanout in the lavatory riser is all you would need.

Ha, I work with guys in the field quite often, tell me how you really feel! Engineers and lawyers certainly don't get along so I'll agree with that one. Sounds like I'm ready to break ground, I'll install a cleanout on the LAV riser just in case. Thanks for looking at!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks