Basement bathroom floor broke up. Does this layout work?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by GTJackets, Jan 29, 2014.

1. GTJackets

GTJackets New Member

Is this a proper way to plumb a basement bathroom?

1. lav drain
    2. shower
    3. toilet
    4. vent for toilet
    5. is hard to see but is a 2" Wye rolled above the horizontal to vent the shower.

Question:
    Is the toilet vented by the vent for the shower(#4 in the photo)?
    Or is the toilet wet-vented by the lav drain(#1 in the photo)

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The biggest concern if venting between the shower and the toilet.
    The shower vent will also vent the toilet, but normally you like to see the vent come off at a 45 or vertical and not flat.
    You may want to at least roll it to keep it above the flow line of the shower waste line.

If you have other bathrooms coming down that line, then the lav woudn't really be venting the toilet.
    I vent before a fixture enters a waste line.
  3. GTJackets

GTJackets New Member

This is not my setup but I am in planning stages and looking at other's rough in

Good point on venting before a fixture enters a waste line.

Thanks
  4. GTJackets

GTJackets New Member

As a clarification, fitting #5 is a 2" Wye and will be rolled above the horizontal to vent the shower. Like the drawing below.

Attached Files:

5. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

though lav sink was the only thing u could wetvent a toilet with. wouldnt a double wye be better and vent toilet of the left side and tie into the shower vent
  6. GTJackets

GTJackets New Member

Not true but the lav is the most common
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Good point on venting before a fixture enters a waste line.
    If the vent is after the fixture enters a waste line the vent will be decorative, i.e., it will look pretty but won't serve any actual purpose.