Basement Bathroom -Cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

yes4straw

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing our basement. I was wondering if I could put the bathroom toilet over the cleanout instead of busting up the floor. I was thinking of connecting it with some sort of lug nuts so that if I had to get to the cleanout I would simply undo the nuts. Is this a possiblity? If yes, then what should I know, if not- why not? Is there a code that regulates this type of installation?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Plumguy

Reaction score
If I'm reading this right, you want to remove the plug from your'e cleanout and sit the toilet over the opening?!

Is it legal? NO

Why? because it will be an unvented fixture and not properly connected to the DWV system. The other thing is any time a toilet is installed it is a sanitary must that a sink is installed within close proximity.

yes4straw

Reaction score
The cleanout just has a top that sits on the hole. I thought it was an easy out!
I'm not sure what "un-vented" means. I have never installed a toilet, nor has my husband.
We already have the plumbing done for the sink and toilet.
So now is our only option ripping up the floor?

Thanks so much.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Ok, so reading this again, the cleanout must be close to the toilet drain? So, when the toilet is in place it will be covering the access to the cleanout? Is that what your'e asking?

yes4straw

Reaction score
The sink will drain into the drain from the upstairs bathroom. I need to have a place for the toilet to drain and I've read online that you can find the drain line under the house, which is where the cleanout is (or, I think that's what it is - it's a hole that goes to the drain line - I put water down it and it goes to the drain line...) and use that drain line and a connector or something to have the toilet drain into.

So basically I was wondering if the toilet could drain into the "cleanout."

Thanks again.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought on the previous post you said the plumbing for the sink and toilet were already in. I'm confused and my advice would be to call in a plumber to evaluate the system and lead you in the SAFE and right direction.Good Luck. :)

yes4straw

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I should have said the water lines are already in and plumbing for sink is in.

Thanks anyway!

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Every drain must have a vent. With the situation you're describing, neither the toilet nor the sink will be vented. Think of when you were a kid and you put your finger over the top of the straw in your cherry coke and pulled it out of the cup. Notice that the liquid didnt drain out of the straw until you vented it by removing your finger. I do agree that you should get a few plumbers out there to evaluate what you have and give you a written estimate for what needs to be done.

Good luck

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
your not confused plumb guy

you had it right! the question was ,can they sit the toilet directly on the clean out.

been on this site 2 days, and can,t wait for the third :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Not to be rude, but from your description of the sink connection and how you want to do the toilet, it sounds like a good reason why DIY'ers should not do their own plumbing. You seem to have connected the sink to a drain from some upstairs fixtures without its own vent which is improper, and now you want to connect the toilet to the cleanout, which does not have a vent which is also improper, and inadvisable.

Macska

Reaction score
Just curious: Wouldn't the toilet be close enough to the main stack to use the main stack as its vent??

Plumguy

Reaction score
Not if there are fixtures above and the "main stack" is actually a drain. You're vent needs to be dry..unless you get into wet venting ,but that is a whole different ballgame.

Macska

Reaction score
Is wet venting frowned upon? Would that be because the vent is not always unobstructed? Or is there some other reason.

I'm asking a lot of questions tonight cause I just spent all day reading my new book about plumbing. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks