Basement Bath Shower Pan Planning

Users who are viewing this thread

duggerce

DIY Member
Reaction score
Website
www.MyLouisvilleAgent.com
I'm in the planning stages for finishing out my basement, which includes a bath that's already roughed-in. I would like to put in a tile shower, however the drain was roughed-in for a tub, making the drain off-center. I want everything up to code, and everything will be permitted and inspected.

Our Kentucky plumbing code seems rather vague in this area and doesn't mention positioning of the shower pan drain, so my question is whether I am off-mark by planning this shower with the drain not centered? Is this something that you'd recommend against? I'd like to avoid busting up the slab to reposition the drain, but will do so if need be. The shower will be 48" wide, 32" deep, making the drain 38" from the furthest edge.

I see that many of you do your homework before responding, so if there's any interest, I've been referencing the 2007 Kentucky Plumbing Code (specifically 815 KAR 20:070 Sect. 6 addresses shower drains).

Any advice is appreciated.

Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming that the drain line is 2", you could leave it where it is. If it isn't, then you don't have a choice since current codes require a shower drain to be 2" while a tub can be 1.5".

Centering the drain isn't a requirement, but often, asthetically is the preferred position for it. The drop to the drain from the longest corner distance sets the drop for all edges, so this will make the slope from the shorter corners much steeper, which you may not like.

I like to use Kerdi when building a shower. Check out www.schluter.com for some info on that system and you can watch the videos on how it goes together. They do make a preformed pan with an offset drain location that might work for you. You'll either need a clamping drain for a conventional shower construction, or the special Kerdi drain, if you go that route. You can use Kerdi without their drain by making the pan with deck mud like a conventional shower, but you only need the single layer since you can tile directly to the Kerdi and it goes on that preslope, so there's one less layer to build. When you get to building the shower, after you resolve the drain, check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling and build it.

duggerce

DIY Member
Reaction score
Website
www.MyLouisvilleAgent.com
I just checked out the Kerdi system for off-set centers from one of your otherthread postings. I'm not sure how much I will like the steeper slope on the drain end...prefer a more uniform look. With a total rise of nearly an inch over a 10" span, I run the chance of making the job look sloppy. Any idea if using the sheets of small tile will make this slope look any less drastic (or tacky)?

The Kerdi system looks like a great way to save some time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks