Basement bath rough plumbing advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

ddr000

Reaction score
I have a year old home that had the rough plumbing done for full basement bathroom done when the house was built. I'm not thinking of finishing the bathroom, and I'm getting conflicting advice from two plumbers, and I was hoping to invoke some wisdom here to help me figure out who is correct.

Here's how it's setup. There is a sewer pit on the left along a basement wall. 3 feet to the right of that is a trap for a shower/tub (2") set back about 16" away from basement wall (I need to frame a wall with 2x6" along the basement wall), another 3 feet to the right is a 2" pipe right next to the wall (I'm assuming this is vent pipe/sink drain), and another 2 ft to the right there is a 4" pipe for toilet, also about 16" from the basement wall. The idea is that the bathroom group would have the shower/tub on the left, toilet in the center, and sink on the right.

One plumber is saying he simply needs to run a horizontal pipe to the sink from the 2" drain/vent pipe, the sink will be about 5-6 ft to the right of this pipe, and all is fine. The other plumber says that I can't vent the sink, shower and toilet via this one wet vent, and need to dig up the concrete and add another drain for sink. My understanding from reading the 2009 national plumbing code (I'm in NJ) is that my current setup is ok given the horizontal distances and vent pipe sizes. There is a capped 2" vent pipe in the ceiling above the vent pipe coming from the basement. The sewer pump will have it's own vent.

I've attached a picture (there are random pipes on the floor, ignore them, this room is currently used for leftover construction materials), I've highlighted the relevant pipes. I checked with the builder who claims that this was roughed for full bath, passed inspection and that's how all of his homes are done.

rough-plumb.jpg

Many thanks!

trickle

Reaction score
Not a plumber.

A bathroom set should count as 3.6 fixture units. A 2" vent should be good to 4 fixture units.

That said you could use a sanitary tee off the main vent so long as you continued the vent up above the flood plain[the point your highest fixture would over flow at] before re entering the stack or exiting the house.

Plumber one seems to be the correct one to me.

Only thing nagging me is the 5 -6 feet distance. I am not sure how far a sink can be from a vent...if its to far it needs to be revented...no big deal but if it needs it do it.

Also you could wait for a real plumber to respond

Edit:spelling

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;Not a plumber.A bathroom set should count as 3.6 fixture units. A 2" vent should be good to 4 fixture units.

Good thing your prefaced your answer with "I am not a plumber", because a complete bathroom is MORE than 3.6 fu, in fact the toilet is usually counted as SIX by itself, and a 2" vent is good for a lot more than 4 fu. The first plumber is almost correct. The toilet vent will work for venting everything AND the lave drain, but if the sink is beyond the limit for your area, (here it would be 4' for a 2" branch line). then it may need its own "revent" but that is just a matter of a few more fittings and some pipe.

trickle

Reaction score
Oops.

Well, not a plumber.

Relooked at the plumbing book I have it says a "bath group"(toilet,sink and tub) can be counted as 6 FU.

Previously I was looking at "bath set" (tub with shower).

Not a code book. Creative homeowner ultimate guide to plumbing. Its ok but need heavy editing snd better pictures for some stuff.

I should make "not a plumber" my sig.

ddr000

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was also able to reach the town inspector, who confirmed it's code in my town. (or that at least he'll pass it :) ).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks