Basement Bar Plumbing - Possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

theeld

Reaction score
I would like to install a basement bar in an unfinished room in my basement. The bar will be on an exterior wall. There are 2x4 furring strip walls with fiberglass insulation against the 8" foundation walls. The main stack is about 32' feet away on the exterior wall. Can I run the drain plumbing through 2x4 furring strips, in front of fiberglass insulation? What size of drain pipe should I run to the main drain stack? Can I get by with 1.5"?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Your sink drain will require a vent. For a 32 foot run, the drain line will need to drop 8", which could be a problem depending on how high the trap is and how low the connection is to the stack. It may be easier to install an under-sink pump unit to pump the waste up and over to the tie-in to the building drain. Either way, you still need to provide a vent.

theeld

Reaction score
I will be able to tie in an existing vent from bathtub above, so more concerned with the size of plumbing running the 32' to the main stack, and confirmation that the stud walls are not actually load bearing since they are against the foundation walls, and running plumbing through them is sound..I think the 8" of drop is feasable.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you can make the connections at that level, the distance is not a problem. Cleanouts must be installed for each cumulative change of direction exceeding 135 degrees. When tying into the vent for a fixture on the floor above, the connection must be made at least 42" above that floor.

theeld

Reaction score
I have a conceptual hurdle that I will have to overcome if I am to make the run along the exterior walls. Current studs are 16" OC, how does one insert sections of PVC plumbing that are longer than 16" into the wall? Ideally I would like to insert long runs of PVC pipe into studs and obviously I can cut holes in existing studs, but unless I want to have a coupler in every stud bay, I need to find a way to run the pipe into the studs.. I dont believe PVC is very flexible so im not sure this can be accomplished as I envision. Anyone know of any tricks to overcome this problem??

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you might need 2 couplers every stud bay if your holes are minimum size for clearance. Studs on 16 inch centers only have 14.5 inches between studs. I guess if your hole was big enough, you might be able to fit 15-7/8 inch long pieces into place.

I think ABS is more flexible, but not that flexible.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you temporarily remove one stud at the starting point, I think you should be able to flex a full length stick of pipe enough to fish through the holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks