Baseboard heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Couple of quick questions....

1) Looking at Lowes and they have hydronic (liquid filled electric) baseboard heaters and just electric baseboard. Is one going to provide a better/more cost effective heat? All my searches for hydronic come up with the radiant type which uses water heated via a boiler or water tank.

2) 110v or 220v, is one better or are most going to be 220? I don't recall what the store had and that's not necessarily what I'm going with, just tryin to do some research.

Ideally, I will need 2-3 to heat my 2nd floor, I currently have 1, which is probably 15-20yrs old. It works, but I'm thinking of placing it in the garage and installing a couple of new ones upstairs. I'm assuming if I use 220, I would need a seperate circuit for each heater, maybe that's true with 110 as well, but it seems it wouldn't be as much of a load on my breaker if I had 3 110 circuits vs 3 extra 220 circuits. Maybe it doesn't matter and it is something to ask my electrician. Again, just trying to figure in my head what my options are....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A heater without the oil could have hot(ter) spots in it. While the oil filled one may when it first starts out, the oil circulates to provide more even heat all over after it warms for a bit. If it ever leaks, it can make a mess, but you'd end up with more even heat, and it would continue to provide radiant heat longer than one without because it likely would have more thermal mass.

You'd need less current, therefore smaller wires if you ran 220vac. It would depend on the individual loads how many you could run off of one circuit. On 220vac, you'd likely be able to run more than one on a circuit, but you may not on 110. The size wire used would depend on the CB you use and the load, though. 20A at 220vac is twice the watts as 110vac. P=I*E power equals current times voltage; double the voltage, double the power available at the same current level.

PistonDog

Reaction score
This house was built in 1974 and had all electric baseboard heating, which I replaced. The original circuits were all 220v with (obviously) 2-pole breakers. Each room had a dedicated circuit, complete with a thermostat (2 pole break) adjacent to the lightswitch.

It is cheap to install, expensive to run, but (sarcasm) very green; 100% efficient (ignoring distribution losses).

I vote for 220. Leave yourself room (wire & breaker amp-wise) to be able to add a heater if you need to.

PD

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if it is accurate to call a stand alone electric heater "hydronic" just because it is liquid filled. Whatever.

The difference between the two types you describe is that the liquid filled one is probably straight convection....it heats the elements and air flows by convection from the floor up through the vanes and fins, and is thus heated. This provides a steady even heating, has some residual, takes longer to warm the room up.

Plain coil type heaters probably are fan forced. Heating coils heat up and a fan moves air across. These will heat an area a little faster, because of the fan. But the total btu into the room is still watts per square foot.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
...except for heat pumps, which are more than 100% efficient. ;)

(You realize that this thread is more than 5 years old, right?)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Everything runs better on 220v, unless it is a 110v appliance. A 20 year old electric heater is just as efficient as a new electric heater as long as they are the same size. A 5K watt heater of old or new will still burn 5K watts. However, an old heater element may deteriorate over time but it would usually have an increase in resistant, therefore, it would give off less heat but it also less wattage is being burned.
The hydronic (liquid filled electric) baseboard heaters is trying to mimic a water circulation type of heating. As said above it has more mass to hold more heat. When it turns on it will take several minutes to heat the oil before you'll feel any heat coming off of it. So you have a slow heat rise, then when it is at full temperature and the thermostat shuts off the heater, it will take much longer to cool down and it will continuously give off heat. It is the keep the temperature of the room more even between heat cycles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks