Baseboard heat behind toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
My house has hot water baseboard heaters behind the toilets. The radiators extend about 3" out from the wall and stand 8 to 9" high. The 30 year old Eljer's had plenty of room back there, but looking at some of the highly rated new toilets I don't see enough space for the heaters. So my questions are:

1. Which highly rated toilets will leave the most space for the heaters?

2. Since the new toilets will probably be closer to the heaters, should I use waxless rings?

TIA for the advice.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
2. Since the new toilets will probably be closer to the heaters, should I use waxless rings?
Due to thermal inertia of the porcelain and water flow through the toilet I doubt those rings will even see up to 72F.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with That Guy as far as the temperature is concerned. You do have a space problem. I checked my Drake and Dartmouth toilets, and they set pretty close to the wall. Some space, but not even close to 3". I wonder is one of the toilets with the Unifit adapters would work. Terry can give you accurate information on this, I do not have personal experience with these models.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 10" rough-in toilet would gain you 2" over a stock 12" one, but, depending on the toilet, cause it to sit out into the room that additional 2".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Gerber Ultraflush would work with 3" behind.
If you had wax before, you should be fine.

gerber_21302_1.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could eliminate the baseboard and install a kickspace heater under the vanity...

Cookie

Reaction score
Depending on some particulars, you could maybe consider a radiant floor heating system.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Terry - Looks like the Gerber is the way to go, especially with a MaP score of 1000. The spec sheet shows about 6" from wall to toilet, so plenty of room. As far as I know the old toilets are on wax.

Redwood - I thought about that, and it would be fairly easy in the downstairs bath because the plumbing and wiring is readily accessible from the crawlspace. Upstairs, it would take some more serious demo. I also had a concern because all the units I've found online are 1/2", and my existing system is 3/4". Not sure if that restriction would have an impact on the rest of the heating system.

Cookie - Again, thought about it, but I hadn't planned on turning a simple toilet upgrade into a bath remodel (yet). I understand those systems are pretty nice, though, so it is something to consider eventually when remodel time comes.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Some manufacturers have learned how to maximize their MAP score. Doesn't necessarily mean it still flushes well, is quiet, doesn't spalsh, shread things, and has good bowl wash. Don't know on this one, have no experience with it. Just saying, MAP scores alone, are not a rating on the overall quality. the stuff they flush for the MAP scores is flexible plastic tubes of paste...not very much like the real thing except weight and general size, don't leave skid marks, and don't break apart during the flush.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Before you decide, measure the distance from the finished wall (drywall/tile) to the center of the flange (measure to the bolts). For instance, it might be 14" and you might currently have a 12" toilet and that'll give you an extra 2" in back. So, see what you are starting with and then you can better see what your options are.

NightowlDC

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a toilet with space behind it, though I need 4'' from the wall to the toilet. I realize beggars can't be choosers, but does anyone know of a more contemporary-looking toilet other than the Gerber pictured above? I have a 12'' rough in, but I'd be willing to go with a 10'' if need be. I looked at the Aquia, but from the pictures on the other threads here it looks like the plumbing for that sits right up against the wall even though the skirt sits 4'' back.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A 10" Aquia might fit. As noted earlier, any of the Totos that use the Unifit adapter when a 10" one is used, would push the thing out 2", and with the nominal 3/4" behind would be close. Might depend on exactly how close the rough-in is and the exact size of the heater. You can usually gain maybe 1/4" or so on the flange by moving it off-center a little. Worse comes to worse, you might be able to remove the cover in the area behind the toilet (asthetically better with the skirted toilets since it would hide things back there.

Trainman

Reaction score
My house has hot water baseboard heaters behind the toilets. The radiators extend about 3" out from the wall and stand 8 to 9" high. The 30 year old Eljer's had plenty of room back there, but looking at some of the highly rated new toilets I don't see enough space for the heaters. So my questions are:

1. Which highly rated toilets will leave the most space for the heaters?

TIA for the advice.
Did you go with the Gerber? What are the clearances like behind the bowl?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks