Barkeepers seems to clean toilet ring

Users who are viewing this thread

alexh

Reaction score
Hi, Have a sangloss unit in a 1/2 ba and wife finally complained about the ring since guests will use. I tried everything, finally in desperation used undiluted Muratic acid and it did NOT do a thing!

Tried all home remedies using baking soda + vinegar etc.
Citric acid
Zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner
CLR
Iron out

and finally the Muratic acid reasoning that if I ruined the toilet so be it. No damage apparent. I can pretty much verify this because I would pump out the water from the bowl before cleaning and I could see below the water line the finish was very glossy before and after acid treatment. Above water line bowl is not glossy and a bit rough- to be expected after 10 years of use since water will evap above water line.

I originally used the barkeeper to restore the glossy finish on a pedestal sink and decided to try on the toilet and it removed the ring fairly quickly although I left it on as a paste for a long time. I can still feel the water line ring deposit but barely and I cant see it. It also removed most of the water spots and restores the gloss to some extent above the water line.

I find this very strange because I have removed deposits and rust from other appliances with no issues using mild acidic treatments so must be some other chemistry going on here.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a ring at the water line? Use pumice. Pumie is a common brand.
pumie-scouring-stick.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Multiple plumber friends have mentioned EdFred as the product they like. Have not tried it myself.
Says: " If you are using a pumice stone this will change your life."
Edfred%20Cling%20N%20Clean%20Toilet%20Bowl%20Cleaner%20600x1200.jpg

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, Have a sangloss unit in a 1/2 ba and wife finally complained about the ring since guests will use. I tried everything, finally in desperation used undiluted Muratic acid and it did NOT do a thing!

Tried all home remedies using baking soda + vinegar etc.
Citric acid
Zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner
CLR
Iron out

and finally the Muratic acid reasoning that if I ruined the toilet so be it. No damage apparent. I can pretty much verify this because I would pump out the water from the bowl before cleaning and I could see below the water line the finish was very glossy before and after acid treatment. Above water line bowl is not glossy and a bit rough- to be expected after 10 years of use since water will evap above water line.

I originally used the barkeeper to restore the glossy finish on a pedestal sink and decided to try on the toilet and it removed the ring fairly quickly although I left it on as a paste for a long time. I can still feel the water line ring deposit but barely and I cant see it. It also removed most of the water spots and restores the gloss to some extent above the water line.

I find this very strange because I have removed deposits and rust from other appliances with no issues using mild acidic treatments so must be some other chemistry going on here.
I have used muriatic acid to clean a toilet and it didn’t ruin it. It cleaned all of the minerals out really well. But I would only use that if there are a lot of minerals. Otherwise I would just use regular toilet bowl cleaner

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have used muriatic acid to clean a toilet and it didn’t ruin it. It cleaned all of the minerals out really well. But I would only use that if there are a lot of minerals. Otherwise I would just use regular toilet bowl cleaner
The problem with muriatic acid is although it will clean the toilet well the fumes are really hazardous and it will burn your skin if it gets on you. If you use muriatic acid to clean it make sure you open a window and make sure not to get it on your skin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks