Bangkok vs Vancouver: Which is better for kids soccer?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
For those of you that do not know me. I'm a very vocal online poster of shower construction techniques and have been writing online for almost seven years. I have been coaching soccer longer and live here in North Vancouver with my wife and three daughters. I'm a soccer nut. It is my true passion and what keeps me sain in an otherwise crazy world.

I love coaching my kids. Their friends. Our friends. Anyone really who will listen and learn.

Three nights back we picked up two young boys from Bangkok. They are home stay kids staying with my family here for a couple of weeks. We got an email from one young man saying that his favourite thing to do in the world was play soccer. Well of course this was music to my ears and in the three nights we have gone out twice to play.

I have done a lot of travelling around the world and been to South America, Europe, much of the US and Canada. I have never travelled to Bangkok or Thailand ever. I hear that the beaches are amazing and many friends of mine have gone there.

Two nights back it was cold. Cold and raining. But, as a soccer player and coach it's part and parcel. So we went out. The boys had just arrived and where bouncing off the walls. I wanted to show them the fields I play on and try and burn off some energy. I brought my eight year old daughter with me to help play. We stayed out for about 90 minutes. The boys, my daughter and me had a great time.

On the way back to my truck. Soaking wet and tired from the lap I made everyone do there was big smiles and one of the young men said this. Word for word.

"I'm so happy. I love so much playing soccer in Canada. I played for one hour and did not cough once."

I asked him to repeat what he said because I thought I miss heard him. These boys are nine and ten. Speak amazing English (so impressive). They told me in the truck that the pollution is so bad in Bangkok that when they run hard at soccer they start to cough after roughly 10 minutes of play. They were so happy because they played so long and they did not cough.

These exchange students really open your eyes to things in life you might take for granted. So far they love Vancouver. North Vancouver but are a little wigged out about the Bears. My kids do not go outside at dusk. We have had many times Bears in our yard and only a few weeks back my wife got a good scare.

It's easy to take what we have for granted. I'm glad I coach here in Canada and not Bangkok.

GeorgeWilson

Reaction score
That's actually quite alarming to know that a short period of high intensity sport could cause kids to start coughing because of how bad the pollution is in their country. Kids soccer is actually already a sport that would require safety gears and equipments on its own just to lessen the risk of injury so it's actually sad to hear that some kids play at worse conditions. Nonetheless, soccer is a great sport for kids to learn, if you're worried about the safety of your kids while playing this contact sport, here's where you can find a list of gear and equipment that you should get before your kids start playing https://www.soccerx.com/soccer-gear-for-4-year-olds

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks