Banging heater but drain is clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Clacks

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've searched through the forums for remedies to a banging gas hot water system. It only seems to happen when the gas is on so i think it is sediment.

The problem is when I drain the tank, the water comes out clear and there is no sediment visible. When I refill and run the hot water taps in the house it comes out brown for a little while but I'm guessing that is just crap in the pipes?

I thought it might be a loose flue expanding with the heat but the noise happens when i turn on the hot water taps as well so I don't think that is the reason. Could that rule out sediment as well?

Thanks
Jac

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
banging

The noise is caused by "nodules" which have built up on the center flue. Water in the nodule is "super heated" and when pressure drops when you open a faucet, or sometimes just when the water is heating, that water turns to steam and then causes a "mini explosion" when it condenses back to water. Those mini explosions are what you hear as banging.

Clacks

Reaction score
hj said:
The noise is caused by "nodules" which have built up on the center flue. Water in the nodule is "super heated" and when pressure drops when you open a faucet, or sometimes just when the water is heating, that water turns to steam and then causes a "mini explosion" when it condenses back to water. Those mini explosions are what you hear as banging.

Ok thanks for that. What can I do to clear them out?

Thanks
Jac

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

Replace the heater. They are similar to rust pockets bonded to the metal and nothing will remove them. Eventually, the metal will be eaten through at one of the nodes and cause the heater to leak. But it could take years for it to happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks