Balsa wood "Anti-flex" floor construction - Aker tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Kavita

Reaction score
greetings all,

has anyone had experience with the Maax Aker line of tubs using (what they call) 'Balsa wood "Anti-flex" floor construction' ?

after researching large capacity no-frills acrylic tubs for probably far too much time, i chose the Maax Aker ACA-3260 tub (essentially the same tub as Maax Villa Casa, but for this balsa wood under-tub support system).

i'd be most interested in hearing from anyone who's installed an Aker tub with this under-tub support system.

would you recommend it instead of laying a masonry foundation beneath an acrylic tub?

or does it provide ample support without added cement beneath it?

as always, many thanks for your suggestions / ideas / opinions, etc,

kavita

Kavita

Reaction score
second inquiry ...

[returned to top of thread]

i'm really hoping to hear from anyone who's installed an Aker (Maax) tub with this floor support ... any input is appreciated!

Kavita

Reaction score
one more time!

[return to top of thread]

anybody versed in tub installation even want to venture a guess at this under-tub floor construct's usefulness?

Dtmos

Reaction score
May be too late, but I just joined. I just ordered a Maxx Aker 3260 10 jet BodyFit tub. You are correct about the balsa wood construction. I have talked extensively with Aker about their construction. They assure me that their mounting system will not crack etc. The addition of their mounting pads plus the balsa wood construction does not require the addition of cement. I am remodeling the bathroom in two weeks and will be documenting the entire process. My father works in the plumbing/heating/air con industry and stated that these tubs were some of the best.

Dtmos

Reaction score
Kavita. Don't know if you are still out there but I just finished installing my Maxx Aker 10-Jet Whirlpool tub. Let me tell you that the balsa wood construction is a pretty sweet setup, not having to pour concrete is a pretty sweet deal. Just as long as your floor is lever you should not have any problems with this tub. Pretty much just wrestled the tub into position and secured it to the walls, checking to make sure it was level!

Kavita

Reaction score
thanks so much!

dtmos!

yoou know one of the things i love about this forum? i can ask a question, disappear back into rebuilding the house, reappear several months later to find the answer to the precise question i'm finally ready to address!

thanks, the tub is on order and due to be installed in july. no one i asked had heard of 'balsa-wood construction', not even the wonderful plumber who works with us, and so this is good to hear.

i really appreciate your reply!

kavita

Kavita

Reaction score
3260 too

also ... the tub i've ordered is the soaker (jetless) version of yours - the 3260 bodyfit ... if you're still around, i'd love to know how you like it!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, after all this I am really anxious to hear about a tub made of balsa wood! Not the first material that comes to my mind when I think of (a) water (b) hardness (c) rigidity. What's up?

Kavita

Reaction score
he-he ... it's under the tub ...

hey there jimbo,

actually, the balsa wood's under the tub, providing full under-tub support in lieu of the installer laying out concrete or shimming or whatever other methods folks use.

i've not seen it, but it's listed on the technical spec sheet i printed out last winter.

this particular tub (aker 3260) was the largest-water-capacity tub of it's size and cost i could find, so i was eager to learn as much about it as i could before plunking down $500 (acrylic).

i'd guess balsa wood's a bit porous for a tub, no? lol ... hope this 'splains it.

kavita

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks