ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Gfe76

Reaction score
I have an outside hot/cold faucet made by having two ball valves tied together at their exits to form one hose bib. The ball valves are exposed to the elements. These are commercial brass type valves (1/2"). Last nite here in atlanta temps got down to 25 deg. I did not turn water off to either line (hot or cold). This morning the cold turned on and worked fine. The hot handle would turn but no water. I thought the line had frozen, but it appears the valve has failed in the "closed position". The handle and stem going to the ball turns but the ball doesn't turn the valve to allow water to come out. How could the stem separate from the ball? Why didn't it happen to the other side if the cold temp was the cause? thanks

TMB9862

Reaction score
Frozen pipes can do some pretty strange things. That's about all their is to it. Their isn't any way to repair it that I can think of, you're going to have to change the valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shaft is turning, then it is unlikely the ball is not turning. Hot (after it has cooled) can freeze quicker and possibly at a higher temperature since you've driven the entrapped air and maybe precipitated out some impurities.

Gfe76

Reaction score
I have ball valves on with compression fittings, so will be easy to change out. I thought I had read somewhere that hot would freeze faster and at lower temps, but I can promise you the "stem" is turning but the ball is not.
so, again, how? cheap ball? Bad luck with bad valve? Once I take it off (this weeken) i will send update on what I find....I'll give manuf, etc.
It is one of those types that have the large nuts on the entry/exit of valve that has a rubber "o" ring on each end of the valve---not where it compresses on the copper pipe, but closer to the ball. never seen any ball valve quite like it but my plumber said he had had good luck with them. I like my plumber alot---nice honest guy, but I told him I thought the valves looked a little "cheap". The two other sets we installed outside are working fine but they are the "conventional" type ball valves. Hope this makes sense. thanks

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually, the stem is not directly connected to the ball. Once you pull it out, you can verify this. Take the ball valve apart and you should be able to rock the ball out of the valve - the stem will still be in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I had a bad ball valve on a heater yesterday, that would not turn off even though the handle was rotating properly. But your valve might be working, but the line to it could be frozen so the water cannot flow.

Gfe76

Reaction score
No, line was not frozen. the low was 25 but it got up to 60 yesterday. When I got home about 7 pm it would still not allow water to pass. The cold side worked fine (even that morning) and cold work fine at 7 pm.

Gfe76

Reaction score
Ok guys, Took off the compression ball valve. Ball will not rotate when handle is rotated. It is a Apollo International, with yellow plastic over handle. 600 cwp. CII----whatever that means. It doesn't look like the normal valve. the "nuts" immediately on both side of the handle are larger than normal and when you take them off there is a black rubber "o" ring inside. they were purchased at Lowe's (so says my plumber)...I am taking both of them back tomorrow and getting the "conventional" type ball valves to replace. thanks for input from all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks