ball valve survey

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
Since the topic of installing a ball valve is currently a topic I am curious as to what ball valves board members use? And, maybe a brief reason as to why?

Thanks,
Matt

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hard to answer this, since there are many types of ball valves for just as many applications. I mean, you have sweat, and IPS valves for starters, then you have ones with different pressure ratings. Also are you running steam though the valve? Gas? Oxygen? The price on a 1" standard ball valve non-full port is $22.00 and can go as high (according to my pricing book) as $120.00 for a 1" 3-PC full port 150# SWP - 600# WOG So it all depends on the job what kind of ball valve I would use.

web_surfer

Reaction score
further explanation

I was mainly talking about what "name brand" (such as "apollo", R/W, nibco, mueller, etc.) full port sweat valves are being used.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ball valves

For water main line replacements I use Nibco because they are the exact length after I cut the copper on one side of the gate valve and unsweat the other side. Otherwise, I use whichever full port valve the supply house is carrying at that time.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I was mainly talking about what "name brand" (such as "apollo", R/W, nibco, mueller, etc.) full port sweat valves are being used.

Sorry for the confusion.

Matt

I am in the same boat as HJ for normal water shut offs I buy what ever the supply house happens to carry. If I had my choice though I do like Nibco as well. I never had any issues with their valves.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Normally I waltz into the supply house and ask for a ball valve or two and just take whatever they throw at me. I've used Apollo, Nibco, Watts, Raven and many others and if I didn't have Alzheimer's I could still count the number of bad ball valves in one hand, using one finger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks