Badly Rusted/Leaking Main Waste Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Xroad

Reaction score
My mother's house have a section of 4" waste pipe, cast iron, badly rusted and leaking. If I am to cut the section out and replace the section with PVC pipe & rubber union boots at each end, it would be the ideal fix. Problem is the risk. If I use a chain type pipe cutter. It may not snap at the cut line due to few possible reasons. The pipes are old, easily 80 years old. Old time iron casting quality may not yield evenly casted wall thickness. Rust weakens the pipe walls unevenly. If it does not snap at the cut line, I would have to try another cut further back. This section is right under the toilet upstairs. So, there is no where to cut at a spot further back. I'm at the elbow. Going toward downstream, is another elbow. So, this section is about 2 feet between two elbows.

Reciprocating saw with a diamond blade will work but it takes a long time and messy. I have a 4" grinder but that is also a mess. Even If I want to put up with the noise and the splashing mess, both method will work only if the uneven snap cut leaves me extra pieces TO cut. If the chain cutter bit off a chunk larger than necessary, then I'll have to cut back more. Option is looking bad.

Maybe I'll start with the grinder first and forget the chain type cutter. 4" diamond disc cut around the circumference until cut through. Better control. Long and slow. Less risk of out of control break. Will it be very slow?

Few years back, my mother found some handy man. He strapped a piece of rubber "mat" over the top where the rust is and piled on tons of caulking. I guess it held for a few years.

Rather risking expanding this job to a much bigger out of control project, I am thinking of doing the same patch, but better. I will use a thick neoprene rubber sheet to wrap the pipe and use screw type hose clamps every 2 inch or so to strap on the rubber sheet. It will be the same concept of the pipe repair clamps kit sold in McMaster Carr catalog. They did not have the length I need. I found up to 15 inches in length. I need a longer section, more like 24 inches.

Any good ideas?

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... a piece of rubber "mat" over the top where the rust is and piled on tons of caulking. I guess it held for a few years.

Rather risking expanding this job to a much bigger out of control project, I am thinking of doing the same patch, but better ...

Clean the pipe well on the outside, then slit a length of 6" firehose and glue it on with a liberal amount of sealer (like Black Jack in a tube), then cover the hose with a length of aluminum flashing or duct and wrap it tightly with duct tape!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Duct tape had to find its way into the mix at some point, naturally. ;)

Just sawzall the pig outta there. If it's too messy for ya, get outta the way and let a plumber take care of it.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Clean the pipe well on the outside, then slit a length of 6" firehose and glue it on with a liberal amount of sealer (like Black Jack in a tube), then cover the hose with a length of aluminum flashing or duct and wrap it tightly with duct tape!

Where in the code is that an approved repair?

Use your 4" grinder and a diamond wheel. Cut's like butter.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Lee, If thats the way you fix your house, be ready to take a substantial hit on the property value when you sell it!:eek:
I hope you aren't out there doing handyman work like this for hire!

Xroad

Reaction score
Now and Later

Up-Till-Now: The current solution, up till now, is a big plastic garbage can to catch the drip.

NOW: I have to stop the leaking, NOW. Then, come up with THE plan on what to do ... sawz-all, grinder, cold chisel, PVC, cast iron, etc.

LATER: Execute the plan.

This line connects to the tenent's apartment. Whatever I decide to do, it has to get zip up really fast. That is why I cannot afford to have this blow up into a huge project. The section of pipe connects to an elbow and then the toilet flange. If I cannot get a clean cut, then it means replacing the elbow and toilet flange and resetting the toilet and disconnect/reconnect a VERY old water hose that supplies to the toilet tank.... another risk there.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Duct tape had to find its way into the mix at some point, naturally. ;)

You bet!

Where in the code is that an approved repair?

I would not have the slightest idea.

Lee, If thats the way you fix your house ...

Please stop making presumptuous leaps, Redwood, and one way to do that is by sticking to the subject at hand.

The current solution, up till now, is a big plastic garbage can to catch the drip ...
Whatever I decide to do, it has to get zip up really fast ...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking your finger in the dike, figuratively speaking, until a pro can arrive and make a permanent repair.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Please stop making presumptuous leaps, Redwood, and one way to do that is by sticking to the subject at hand.

Lee your the one handing out bad advice in every direction today...
Are you having a Hack Attack?
Maybe duct tape isn't the best solution and you shouldn't advise people on how to plumb today...
Anything above dead level is okay for pitch and now duct tape....
Sheesh!

plumbersprotectthehealthofournation.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your input has led to a discussion of the method of your proposed repair method.

Is this your attempt at wearing a teflon jacket?

If you don't want to catch flack over a hack fix then don't propose them in the first place!:cool:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
:D :D :D :D :

Hack, Hack hackitty hack.

Angle grinder with a diamond wheel. Cuts fast. Cuts clean. Badda Bing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
NH Master, Please pass the duct tape...
I feel the pressure building...

Oh Oh! Too late!

blowup.gif

Xroad

Reaction score
Planning For The Fix

OK, I am planning what to do after I take my finger out of the dike.

Replacing the rusted cast iron section with PVC:

Looking at the situation on how much pipe I have ... upstream have a rubber union already so I can start the PVC section there. In case the cut did not turn out well, and I have to do another cut further downstream at the other end. The worst case situation is I run out of pipe on one section and I am all the way downstream where the bad pipe meet at the "T" of the main (horizonal) pipe. How is the PVC to interface to the cast iron "T"? That "T" now have the "bad" pipe leaded into it. If the cut cracking the whole section, I'll have to remove the pieces and left with the open "T", how is the PVC going to fit into the cae iron "T"?

If the cut goes well, the "bad" section is left with a few inches of cast iron, I'll rubber boot the PVC to the cast iron.

Last edited:

Xroad

Reaction score
Ah HA !!!

WOW, Thanks for that info.

Donut ..... A rubber doo-hicky queezed between the "T" and PVC pipe? That makes life a lot easier. I don't even have to rent the cutter. Lot less risk.

Taking the leaded joint apart at the "T", is that difficult? Do I just wiggle the joint loose? Any precautions? My biggest fear, which ever way I approach this, is avalanching the project to something I cannot handle. Simple for most of you but living dangerousely or me.

What is the official name for this ... "Donut"?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Believe it or not its called a donut...

donut

You can drill the lead swiss cheesing it then prying it and the oakum out then take out the pipe and clean up the hub.

There ae a couple of sizes. is the pipe service weight or, extra heavy?

Xroad

Reaction score
Believe it or not its called a donut...

donut

There ae a couple of sizes. is the pipe service weight or, extra heavy?

No idea, how can I find out?
Can I measure the outside/inside circumference of the "bell"?
Can I measure the outside circumference of the pipe that inserts into the "bell"?

At the web site of the link you gave me, there is a photo at the top showing two pipe examples. Mine looks like the top one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks