Bad Tile job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ithacles

Reaction score
I am having a small bathroom remodeled. The tile is about done BUT, there is a 1/2" gap between the wall and the bullnose. The contractor says that the tile is perfectly level all the way around and that he will patch the wall to hide the gap. This looks to me like he put the thinset on too thick and now I will have an unsightly border. Is this common or should I demand that the tile be redone?
IMG_20170117_175450504.jpg
IMG_20170117_173737817.jpg
IMG_20170117_175450504.jpg
IMG_20170117_173757944.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When one lays large format tile over waterproofing and backerboard, it is never going to all match up perfectly with the drywall outside of the shower. If the tile is flat and straight, it is hard to do much better than that. If the problem is too notable, it would be easier to mud out the drywall so that everything comes together more smoothly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you try to make the wall flat with the tile, it's not uncommon to end up with a gap at the edge where the tile stops.

WHat's a bit more troubling to me is that you can see gaps underneath the tile from the edge! Ideally, the tile would be 100% supported, and you'd see no gaps. If he used the same technique in the rest of the shower, it is a bigger issue. FWIW, neither tile nor grout is truly waterproof...in a shower, even if you seal the grout (that's more for staining than waterproofing), there will be some moisture getting behind...If it's fully covered with thinset, it won't accumulate, and will tend to dry out. If there are gaps, it can accumulate and even run out in areas you wouldn't expect. In a wet area, industry standards call for 100% of the edges, and 95% of the rest of the tile to have thinset coverage...no where near that, at least on those visible at the edge.

If there's a matching bullnose, you can make it look decent when painting the wall. Won't address if there's some other issues, though.

sajesak

Reaction score
I am having a small bathroom remodeled. The tile is about done BUT, there is a 1/2" gap between the wall and the bullnose. The contractor says that the tile is perfectly level all the way around and that he will patch the wall to hide the gap signs of a bad tile job. This looks to me like he put the thinset on too thick and now I will have an unsightly border. Is this common or should I demand that the tile be redone?View attachment 37738 View attachment 37737 View attachment 37738 View attachment 37739
Hi,

I’ve recently had my shower tiled and am very unhappy with the result. As the tiler was putting the tiles on, I told him that I was unhappy with it but he said that he would make any last tweaks before he grouted. He made some changes and then finished the job and it’s shoddy. I paid him because I didn’t want a nasty confrontation but I told him that I was unhappy with the work, and he apologized but didn’t offer to do anything to rectify it. I was hoping I would get used to it but I don’t think I can.

So some advice please - is it possible to change the very badly placed tiles or would the whole lot need to come down now that it’s grouted?

Nebojsa

Reaction score
Just bye the pictures i would say he did not apply the mud to the end ant that is why it looks like,based on what i see and not being there.
Second, was the sheet rock waterproofed? I have not installed tile over sheet rock unless waterproofed or used Ditra.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Have a 4' straight edge or level? Put the straight edge on the dry wall then on the tile. Wall from the pics looks like the wall is wavy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks