Bad Tile Installer? Need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

RightorWrong

Reaction score
First, thanks a ton for taking the time to read this thread and chime in.

My wife and I are trying to convert two bathrooms from tubs to a standing showers. We were referred to a contractor by a friend and hired them. Now that I'm seeing their work I'm regretting the decision.

Here are some pictures for reference: http://imgur.com/a/coD0K

• There is no vapor barrier
  • The hardibacker cement board isn't mesh taped and finished. Instead RedGuard was brushed over the seams.
  • They are starting to lay tile next to a hole in the wall that they plan on patching later. Seems like an issue.
  • Cement board and drywall are uneven.
I have a meeting with the contractor tomorrow. I want to be knowledgable when I talk to him so any advice on what is wrong would be helpful.

Thanks!

RightorWrong

Reaction score
Total brain fart guys. Terry Love... John Bridge... oops. Sorry to post a tile question on a plumbing site. Nothing but respect guys.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I hope it's not too late - but what kind of drain was used? If they are doing a Kerdi system, it should have a Kerdi drain (where the Kerdi fabric is bonded to the drain flange as shown in the picture). See how the Kerdi material overlaps the drain flange - then it is bonded using thinset.
It doesn't look like this to me from your photos.

kerdidrain.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks