Bad Sterling Mixing Valve in Shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Tleast, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Tleast

Tleast New Member

House is about 13 years old. My shower's mixing valve, (trim ring stamped "sterling") is either all hot or all cold when turned on (i.e. no longer mixes the hot and cold correctly)

Is this an overhaul or a complete valve replacement?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Can you post a picture of it.
    Probably a little rebuild will have it working like new...
  3. Tleast

Tleast New Member

Do you need a picture of the actual valve, or will an exterior picture with the trim parts installed suffice?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

An exterior picture may suffice.
    I just want to ID the valve hopefully get you info on it.
  5. Tleast

Tleast New Member

Sorry took so long. Here is the pic. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Sink.jpg
      Sink.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  6. susandoc

susandoc New Member

I have two of these "sterling" stamped tub/shower valves, and one seems to be leaking at the handle. They are set in cultured marble walls.

We are going to remodel and tear out the cultured marble in one bathroom so can replace the valve (when I understand more about all the different valves).

Wondered if anyone knew if there is a "compatible" trim we could use to update the other one?
  7. kwspears

kwspears New Member

I have similar setup in both my shower units. Can't get water fully hot, or worse, every once in a while a blast of scalding hot water comes through. I have replaced the mixing valve with a new one, but still haven't fully fixed the problem. IMG_1382 (598x800).jpg Not sure if there's something I can do to the mixing tank (I think that's what it is) behind the valve or if I have to do replace it. Any help you could provide would be helpful.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The outer stem, and the inner balancing spool, are readily available at a plumbing store ( not usually at any of the hardware stores.). NOT necessary to open the wall and change the valve body.