Bad pump

Users who are viewing this thread

TBurr

Reaction score
I got up this morning and my Shur-dri 3/4 HP jet pump was done. I think water got to it from all the rain the last few days. Of course everything is closed today, but Home Depot and the only pumps they had were Flotech pumps. I picked one up, but never good get it to prime. I took all the fittings off, put teflon tape on them to make sure the pump wasn't sucking air. No luck. I went through 3 gallons of water trying to prime it. My pressure tank is at 28 PSI with no water in it. Ani ideas?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Burr,
is it a shallow well jet pump or deep well jet pump? Priming can take time depending on how far your well is from the pump.

SAM

TBurr

Reaction score
What was on it before was a 3/4 HP shallow well pump. I did not have the same trouble priming it about 5 years ago when I put it in.

When I was trying to prime the Flotech yesterday it kept shutting off and coming back on continuously, but it never really shut off. If that makes sense.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 Flotech is junk in my NSHO.

#2 pump cycling can be a symptom of a bad pressure switch or tank.

#3 The pumps can run on 240v or 120V. Is it set right.

#4 was the box open when you purchased it?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cass is right,those pumps are junk and seeing that alot of places are now open,you might want to consider buying something better. It sounds to me,like cass said,you either have a bad tank,or you have a shut off that is closed on the discharge of that pump.That flow tech might be able to get you out of a jam but in the long run it will put your right back into one.

SAM

TBurr

Reaction score
Yes the box was closed when I bought it. Thanks for the input. I am thinking about getting some professional help. And probably call some one on the plumbing too. Thanks again

Raucina

Reaction score
I wouldnt be so quick to brand and entire brand as junk, unless we are discussing harbor freights electric tools from Child-slavelabor.com

Flotec is not the problem in this guys case - he has other problems that only a pro can solve. Maybe, and truly just maybe, the flotec will not last as long as the ???? brand. On a dollar for hour basis though, flotec just might win the race.

Anyone that has been inside of a jet pump knows how few the components are and how little one can cheapen the construction process. The case moldings are not an issue. The impeller is the key but still typically a durable item. Flotec didnt make the motor, GE did in some tijuana sweat shop joint that supplies sta rite and jacuzzi too. The seals are made by yet another outfit and have yet to be degraded.

By the way guys, if the pump cuts in and cuts out under pressure rise it is obviously primed and trying to go! Look toward solutions other than a name brand change.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am a plumber that works on wells occasionally, because of the lack of well professionals in my area.

My statement that Flotech was junk has been from personal experience with more than 1 unit.

I also listed other things that I thought may be the problem.

You well professionals should be able, through questions and answers, to help better than I can.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Raucina,
i was trying to figure out his situation. I simply told him flo techs will maybe get somone out of a jam but they aren't a realy good product at all. His pump might have been building to shut off pressure but it doesn't mean that it was primed. If that water has no place to go what small amount is in that pump would be enough for the pump to shut off. The guy never realy gave any feed back about his tank and valves so cant realy help him.

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
We not only badmouth Flotec pumps, we refuse to work on them. They are made as cheaply as a pump can possibly be made. The price to quality relationship is not an equal tradeoff. Not only is the pump junk, but the motor which is made like Raucina said, by GE is the cheapest motor one can buy. The life expectancy of this unit is in my experience is 1.5 years. That said: TBurr said the pump was going on and off but would not shut off. I believe he has wired the motor to the wrong voltage and the motor is shutting off on the overload. A common mistake made by DIY'ers. If the wrong voltage is applied, the motor may not run long enough for the pump "to" catch a prime.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks