Bad flush w/no vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
I brought this problem up here before. Since every one says a toilet won't work without a vent. I will agree. However the toilet does flush sometimes quite well. The floor the toilet sits on is 8" of concrete. I've been there with a jackhammer in the past. There is no way to install a vent without tearing up a lot of this floor which I am unwilling to do. I don't know why this unit was installed this way, but it's what I have to deal with.

I managed to find the 3" pipe leading to the tank about 3 feet from an outside wall 10 feet from the stool. I cut a 1-1/2" round hole in the top and inserted a short piece of PVC pipe into it. This provides the only vent in the entire line.

My question: Which low flow toilet would work the best to not cure but possibly improve this situation. I don't know what brand toilet I have now but it is 3+ gallon flush.

I am going to order one from Terry, but I want to get the best option possible.

Thanks in advance.

bob...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I like the Caromas, they have a 4" trapway may help with the no vent problem, but what ever you get I would get a dual flush.

Many of the people who I have sold Caromas to tell me that the 1/2 flush works reguardless for both.

You may find that a 1/2 flush will work all the time or worst case you do 2, 1/2 flushes.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is this a Toto brand? Since I am a well guy, I'm not real up on toilets (thank God).

This whole installation is a botched job. But I bought the house this way. This is the pool house that is two story, has a bathroom on the lower level where this stool is. The bathroom used to be much smaller until we took out a closet and added a shower which I plumbed into the tank with a different pipe to the tank. It works great. The toilet is the only problem and is only used during partys etc. And I don't have to tell you how that goes with this toilet. They still haven't built a plunger that will do it with just one push.

bob...

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Try venting from the top, with a rear discharge bowl

Bob

Try this: get a rear discharge toilet, and then place it slightly farther forward than the existing one, and then your NEW vent can come down from above.

Rear discharge can be either a wall-mount or a floor-mount (rarer animals, these). A wall-mount toilet can take as little as 26 inches total space front to back including the tank. And you can even position the toilet differently, like on a 45 degree angle, or 90 degrees. In case you want to change the layout too.

David

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Caroma is a brand. They are made in Australia.

Google the name Caroma Tasman 270 or Caroma Caravelle 270.

Tasman and Caravelle are about the same but the Tasman has a plastic tank and is less $$$$. Caravelle has a ceramic tank. Both have a 4" trapway but small water spot.

I think Terry carrys them also.

Speedbump

Reaction score
This sounds good guys. So how do I work the vent? I'm not with you on that part. I wouldn't mind getting into the wall behind it if necessary to install one. (Well I would mind, but if that is what it takes, I'll do it)

I'll go have a look at the tank.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Now for the other kink. The bathroom fixtures are all black. Sink, toilet, towel racks, paper hanger etc. What do you think the little woman is going to say when I install a bisquit colored toilet? They don't have them in Black. Just my luck. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

bob...

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Mick Jagger said to paint it black

Bob

Geberit has three different in-wall carrier systems (almost identical) that carry wall-hung toilet bowls made by a dozen other manufacturers.

You'll find one black. Or paint it black.

The Tessera model bowl is Geberit's own, and it must be located directly above the hole in the floor. The other carrier models can be situated wherever you want to, and you direct the drain to the hole in the floor using bends / elbows.

You can also get a floor toilet with a rear discharge, made by various US manufacturers. Some condo buildings have only this type of toilet, since the drains were designed to be in the "common property" space inside extra large wall cavities.

Hope this helps.

David

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toillets will siphon without the vent I'm told.

Since you added one ten feet downline, it may be vented anyway.
The vents are normally done within six feet.

Since the toilet works some of the time well, and somtimes not, I would think that a repair of the toilet, or a new one would do just fine.

There are many toilets that would work well for you.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Can you recommend one for me. I have seen so many in your store, that I don't know where to start. Knowing my problem and the way this thing has been acting, can you recommend one that might be the best for the job?

bob...

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Unclear to start with

speedbump said:
...The bathroom used to be much smaller until we took out a closet and added a shower which I plumbed into the tank with a different pipe to the tank. It works great. The toilet is the only problem...
Bob,

Tell me what tank you mean.

Where is the closest vent to the toilet? Downstream, I presume. How far? What else is connected? Where, how? Please.

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

Toilets will flush without a vent, and sometimes better without one, but the air in the pipe has to have some way to escape as the water tries to displace it. Without any air outlet, and with a closed system such as a septic tank, most 1.6gpf toilets cannot create the pressure needed to overcome the backpressure. If the hole in the pipe allows the toilet to flush properly, and it should if the only problem is the lack of a vent, then a riser pipe anywhere in the system is all you need. Otherwise, you do not have a vent problem and have to locate the real cause of the non-flushing.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by what tank David. The vent is downstream about ten feet from the toilet and 20 feet before the septic tank. It is a hole in a 3" pipe with a piece of 1-1/2" pipe sticking up above ground. No restrictions there. I just checked it the other day. The 3" pipe was nearly empty when I checked. I really think the main problem is this old low flow toilet. I think it was bought around the time they became mandatory and hadn't been improved on yet.

My vent should do what you suggested HJ, so I'm going to order a Toto and check for any restrictions when I remove the old one.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm going to go spend money in Terry's store.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
I called Terry and he doesn't ship because of UPS breaking so many toilets. I can sympathize with him. UPS has broken lots of our items. Mostly in the northeast for some reason (Unions???). We are using DHL now.

Anyway, I called a local supplier that we deal with once in a blue moon. They said at first a Black Toto would be 3 months out. Then he tapped a few keys on his key board and found one in Sarasota. I'll have it in a few days. I hate to tell y'all what I paid for it, since I don't buy from these guys a lot and sort of compete with them as well.

After the install, I'll post back with the results, since I know y'all are dying to hear the outcome.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Including around $45.00 freight, right at $400.00. This includes some kind of special toilet seat cover that doesn't slam shut or something like that. Maybe you have heard of it, I sure haven't. I always just let it slam.
I guess if I were a midget, that might be a good idea.

bob...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to bad of a price in order to keep peace in the house :)

Speedbump

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you have a very good point. I don't know if this will renew my marriage of 30 + years, but it sure can't hurt.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks